Hubble hit by instrument failure

In summary, the STIS instrument on the Hubble Space Telescope has stopped working, and engineers are trying to track down the source of the problem. The Large Binocular Telescope is scheduled for full operation in 2005, but it will be hampered by absorbtion of some wavelengths by the atmosphere. There are some great old telescopes doing very valuable research - Hubble is a baby compared to many of them.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
One of the four instruments on board the Hubble Space Telescope has stopped working, US space agency Nasa has said.
The STIS, or Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph, was installed during the second Hubble servicing mission in 1997 and was designed to work for five years

It was used to investigate black holes, to discover dim stars that reveal clues to the age of the Universe and study the atmosphere of an extrasolar planet.

Engineers are currently trying to track down the source of the problem. [continued]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3545130.stm

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The STIS, or Space Telescope Imaging Spectrograph, was installed during the second Hubble servicing mission in 1997 and was designed to work for five years

If I do a bit of arithmetic, it looks like they have gotten 7 years out of a 5yr tool...hmm.?

Does anyone have any info about when or if the shuttles will fly again?

I last heard in Feb. 2005

There is a serious movement [that appears to be growing] to save the Hubble. This problem may not help that effort.

Integral said:
If I do a bit of arithmetic, it looks like they have gotten 7 years out of a 5yr tool...hmm.?

When one considers the work rate and lifespan of Earth bound functional devises..say a 'webcamera attached to a computer window's operating system'..I think the fatigue that Hubble is currently experiencing is a small price for almost perfect continuous workrate( only one small blink ) in the whole continueous existence, will need a long break soon, what are we going to do without this amazing tool?

Olias said:
When one considers the work rate and lifespan of Earth bound functional devises..say a 'webcamera attached to a computer window's operating system'..I think the fatigue that Hubble is currently experiencing is a small price for almost perfect continuous workrate( only one small blink ) in the whole continueous existence, will need a long break soon, what are we going to do without this amazing tool?
Let us hope that the decision is made to keep it functioning until a replacement is in place. I do not think the work it can do is complete. Does not the entire field of cosmology rely on this tool for observations? What advances can be made without it, or a replacement, in working order.

Integral said:
Let us hope that the decision is made to keep it functioning until a replacement is in place. I do not think the work it can do is complete. Does not the entire field of cosmology rely on this tool for observations? What advances can be made without it, or a replacement, in working order.
The Large Binocular Telescope is scheduled for full operation in 2005, IIR. It will have adaptive optics that will allow it to achieve even higher resolution than one might expect from the large baseline - designed to deliver 10 times the resolution of Hubble and LOTS more light-gathering power. It will be hampered by absorbtion of some wavelengths by the atmosphere, unlike Hubble - which is still a critically-needed tool! Wonderful instruments like this can't manage to supercede one another - they enhance each other. There are some great old telescopes doing very valuable research - HST is a baby compared to many of them.

The "replacement" space telescope won't be on-line until at least 2011, and it will be optimized for imaging in the infrared. Please contact your US Reps and Senators and explain to them that these valuable tools shouldn't be subject to "either/or" logic. HST can be viable for many more years with proper maintenance and might be capable of much more than it can do currently, if we can upgrade its detectors - surely the on-board sensors were state of the art 10 years ago, but might be improved with today's technology.

Last edited:
Integral said:

I also hope the decision will be made to keep the Hubble functioning, though Nasa has announced that it will not perform any more shuttle maintenance, because the shuttle wouldn't be able to to rendezvous with the ISS in the event of an emergency.

See for instance

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3405249.stm

Good thing the Europeans built the VLT.

There's apparently more politics going on too, of course, though the safety concerns are real. If I keep talking anymore I'm going to start flaming, so I'd better shut up now, except to add that I don't see the situation wrt Hubble repair changing while Bush is president.

Hubble has been so good to us :(

FAQ: Hubble hit by instrument failure

1. What is the Hubble Space Telescope and why is it important?

The Hubble Space Telescope is a large, powerful space telescope that has been in orbit around Earth since 1990. It has provided scientists with invaluable observations and data about our universe, including images of distant galaxies and planets outside of our solar system.

2. What happened to the Hubble Space Telescope's instrument?

One of the Hubble Space Telescope's instruments, the Wide Field Camera 3, experienced a hardware issue that caused it to stop functioning on January 8, 2019. This instrument is responsible for capturing high-resolution images of deep space objects, and its failure has temporarily suspended Hubble's science operations.

3. How is NASA responding to the instrument failure?

NASA has assembled a team of experts to investigate the cause of the instrument failure and develop a plan for repair. They are also working on alternate methods to continue Hubble's scientific observations, such as using other instruments on the telescope or utilizing ground-based telescopes.

4. Is this the first time the Hubble Space Telescope has experienced instrument failure?

No, the Hubble Space Telescope has experienced instrument failures in the past. In 1990, shortly after its launch, a flaw in the telescope's main mirror was discovered and had to be corrected by a space shuttle mission in 1993. Since then, there have been other instances of instrument failures, but the telescope has been successfully repaired or worked around them.

5. Will the Hubble Space Telescope be able to continue its mission?

It is still uncertain whether the Hubble Space Telescope will be able to continue its mission of scientific observations. The success of the repair or alternate methods will determine if and when the telescope can resume its operations. NASA is working diligently to find a solution and hopes to have the Hubble Space Telescope back in working order as soon as possible.