Hund's cases for diatomic molecules

In summary, the questions are: - How do we choose which Hund's case ((a), (b), or (c)...) that best describes a particular diatomic molecule?- How can we deduce from Hund's cases molecular electronic states (2s+1)ΛΩ (e,g. Σ+/-, Π, Δ, Φ, Γ...)? - When Λ-type doubling for non-sigma states should be taken into consideration?- How do we obtain the spin-orbit interaction terms A and B (where Y=A/B)?
samst
Dear All,

May anyone please advise me to the following questions in case of diatomic molecules:

1. How do we choose which Hund's case ((a), (b), or (c)...) that best describes a particular diatomic molecule?

2. How can we deduce from Hund's cases molecular electronic states (2s+1)ΛΩ (e,g. Σ+/-, Π, Δ, Φ, Γ...)?

3. When Λ-type doubling for non-sigma states should be taken into consideration?

4. How do we obtain the spin-orbit interaction terms A and B (where Y=A/B)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Best wishes

Physics news on Phys.org
samst said:
1. How do we choose which Hund's case ((a), (b), or (c)...) that best describes a particular diatomic molecule?
It depends on the strength of the spin-orbit coupling in comparison to other couplings, such as the residual electron-electron interaction. As far as I know, it can be difficult to predict in advance which coupling case is the right one, and it is the actual spectrum that will give the answer (like LS vs jj coupling in atoms).

samst said:
2. How can we deduce from Hund's cases molecular electronic states (2s+1)ΛΩ (e,g. Σ+/-, Π, Δ, Φ, Γ...)?
The term symbol is obtained from the electronic configuration. The Hund cases will affect how the term symbol can be written. For instance, in Hund's case C, Λ is not defined, so one uses Ω instead.

samst said:
3. When Λ-type doubling for non-sigma states should be taken into consideration?
I don't know. Someone more knowledgeable may chime in.

samst said:
4. How do we obtain the spin-orbit interaction terms A and B (where Y=A/B)?
I don't know what this means. Can you explain the notation?

Likes samst
DrClaude said:
It depends on the strength of the spin-orbit coupling in comparison to other couplings, such as the residual electron-electron interaction. As far as I know, it can be difficult to predict in advance which coupling case is the right one, and it is the actual spectrum that will give the answer (like LS vs jj coupling in atoms).

Is there a way we can predict whether L and S are good quantum numbers to choose case (a), for example?

DrClaude said:
The term symbol is obtained from the electronic configuration. The Hund cases will affect how the term symbol can be written. For instance, in Hund's case C, Λ is not defined, so one uses Ω instead.

DrClaude said:
I don't know. Someone more knowledgeable may chime in.

DrClaude said:
I don't know what this means. Can you explain the notation?

The electronic energy of a multiplet term is given to a first approximation by: Te = To + AΛΣ.
where To is the term value when the spin is neglected (spin-free) and A is a constant for a given multiplet term (for spin-orbit). The coupling constant A determines the magnitude of the multiplet splitting. If A>0 , the spin-orbit terms are considered as regular states (2Π1/2, 2Π3/2). For A<0, we have an inverted terms (2Π3/2, 2Π1/2).
How do we evaluate or find A and B terms? I am searching for a relation for A and B, but I am not finding any!

Landau, Lifshitz, vol 3, Quantum Mechanics, contains a nice discussion of the Hund's coupling cases.

Likes samst
DrDu said:
Landau, Lifshitz, vol 3, Quantum Mechanics, contains a nice discussion of the Hund's coupling cases.

Thank you so much DrDu!

Thank you DrClaude for your help and continuous support...

Related to Hund's cases for diatomic molecules

1. What is Hund's case for diatomic molecules?

Hund's cases refer to the three possible arrangements of electrons in a diatomic molecule based on the total spin of the electrons. They are named after Friedrich Hund, a German physicist who proposed them in 1927.

2. What are the three Hund's cases for diatomic molecules?

The three Hund's cases are Case 1: when all electrons are paired in the lowest energy orbitals, Case 2: when there is one unpaired electron in a higher energy orbital, and Case 3: when there are two or more unpaired electrons in higher energy orbitals.

3. How are the Hund's cases determined?

The Hund's cases are determined by the total spin of the electrons in a diatomic molecule. In Case 1, the total spin is 0 and the molecule is said to be in a singlet state. In Case 2, the total spin is 1/2 and the molecule is in a doublet state. In Case 3, the total spin is greater than 1/2 and the molecule is in a higher energy state known as a triplet state.

4. What is the significance of Hund's cases for diatomic molecules?

Hund's cases help explain the observed properties of diatomic molecules, such as their bond lengths and energies. They also play a role in determining the magnetic properties of these molecules.

5. Can Hund's cases be applied to polyatomic molecules?

Yes, the concept of Hund's cases can also be applied to polyatomic molecules, although the number of cases increases with the number of atoms in the molecule. This can help in understanding the electronic structure and properties of these molecules.