Hydrogen atom 1/r^2 expectation value

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Feynman-Hellman theorem to determine the expectation values of 1/r and 1/r^2 for the hydrogen atom. The Hamiltonian and energy eigenvalues are given, and the Feynman-Gellman theorem is used to calculate the expectation value of 1/r^2. However, the expectation value of 1/r cannot be calculated using this method as there is no parameter in the term for the electric charge. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to use the electric charge as a parameter to calculate the expectation value of 1/r.
Unkraut

Homework Statement

Using the Feynman-Hellman theorem, determine the expectation values of 1/r and 1/r^2 for the hydrogen atom.

Homework Equations

Hamiltonian: [tex]H=-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dr^2}+\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{l(l+1)}{r^2}-\frac{e^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r}[/tex]
energy eigenvalues: [tex]E_n=-\frac{me^4}{32\pi^2\epsilon_0^2\hbar^2(N+l+1)^2}[/tex]
N is the largest power of the Laguerre polynomial associated with the solution of [itex]u_{nl}[/itex] (and I have actually no idea what that is and I hope I don't need it), l is the azimuthal quantum number and n the principal quantum number.
n=N+l+1

Feynman-Gellman theorem: [tex]\frac{\partial E_n}{\partial \lambda}=\langle \psi_n | \frac{\partial H}{\partial \lambda} | \psi_n \rangle[/tex] for a Hamiltonian which depends on a parameter [tex]\lambda[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For <1/r^2>:
Take the derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to l:
[tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial l}=\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{2l+1}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{r^2}=\frac{2m}{\hbar^2(2l+1)}\frac{\partial H}{\partial l}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \langle\frac{1}{r^2}\rangle=\frac{2m}{\hbar^2(2l+1)}\langle\frac{\partial H}{\partial l}\rangle[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{2m}{\hbar^2(2l+1)}\frac{\partial E_n}{\partial l}[/tex] (Feynman-Gellman theorem used here)
[tex]=...[/tex] ... straightforward direct calculation which is missing now because texing is so tedious and I think maybe I have made an error in my notes which I must check later.

So, now I have the expectation value of 1/r^2.

But I can't do the same for 1/r. I cannot express 1/r in terms of the derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to some parameter because in the term [tex]\frac{e^2}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r}[/tex] there is no parameter.
Seems I need the expectation value of [tex]\frac{d^2}{dr^2}[/tex], then I can calculate the expectation value of 1/r from the Hamiltonian. My uneducated intuition tells me that maybe that is zero, but that is not a good argument and often my intuition is wrong. I have no idea. Any hint appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're seeing too many boundaries ;)

Why wouldn't the electric charge serve as a parameter..?

Oh, now that you say it, that seems reasonable. Thank you!
In quantum mechanics I always have problems determining what kind of reasoning is actually reasonable :)

Related to Hydrogen atom 1/r^2 expectation value

1. What is the significance of the "1/r^2" term in the expectation value of the Hydrogen atom?

The "1/r^2" term represents the inverse square law, which describes the relationship between the distance and the force between two objects. In the case of the Hydrogen atom, it represents the attractive force between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electron.

2. How is the expectation value of the Hydrogen atom calculated?

The expectation value is calculated using the wave function of the Hydrogen atom and the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system. The expectation value is the average value that would be obtained if the experiment were repeated many times.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the expectation value in the context of the Hydrogen atom?

The expectation value represents the most probable location of the electron in the atom. In other words, it gives us an idea of where the electron is most likely to be found at any given moment.

4. How does the expectation value change as the energy level of the Hydrogen atom increases?

As the energy level increases, the expectation value also increases. This is because the electron is more likely to be found further away from the nucleus at higher energy levels, due to the increased energy and momentum of the electron.

5. Is the expectation value of the Hydrogen atom a constant value?

No, the expectation value of the Hydrogen atom varies depending on the energy level. As the energy level increases, the expectation value also increases. Additionally, the expectation value can also vary depending on the quantum numbers and other factors of the system.