Hydrogen Atom in homogeneous magnetic vector potential

In summary: This is not a proof. The results might be correct, but they could also be due to a mistake in your calculations.
VVS
Hey!

I did an quantum mechanical analysis of a Hydrogen Atom in a homogeneous magnetic vector potential (I know that it might be impossible to create this kind of field) out of curiousity. I showed it to some professors of mine, but they all said that they don't have time. So I decided to post it online here for checkup.

Here is the analysis View attachment Hydrogen_in_Vector_Potentialv2.pdf

And here is a short appendix about the evaluation of the derivatives of Spherical Harmonics.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67418&d=1394285330

I would really appreciate it if you guys could have a look at the analysis and point out mistakes if there are any.

thanking you in advance
VVS

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the result?

I would be surprised to see any deviation from the regular hydrogen atom, as homogeneous vector potentials should be covered by gauge invariance.

Hey mfb!
I get a very weird result. Using perturbation theory you get imaginary corrections terms for the energy eigenvalues. That is as far as I know possible. But it basically means that the wave function decays to zero. But I am more concerned with the rate at which it decays, which according to the equations is VERY VERY FAST.
Something must be wrong.
VVS

But it basically means that the wave function decays to zero.
Or your perturbation theory does not give proper results.

Something must be wrong.
Indeed, as the result is clear: there is no deviation. The wavefunction might get phase changes, but the energy eigenvalues stay the same.

I am not satisfied with that answer. Go through the calculations before you make any judgement or show me a different proof.

I found a way to get the result without any calculations. Isn't that much more elegant?

Here's a second calculation: if A is constant, B = 0. If B is zero, there's no Zeeman effect, so you get the same energy levels as a hydrogen atom in vacuum.

Likes 1 person

Related to Hydrogen Atom in homogeneous magnetic vector potential

1. What is a hydrogen atom in a homogeneous magnetic vector potential?

A hydrogen atom in a homogeneous magnetic vector potential is a simplified model used in physics to study the behavior of a single hydrogen atom in the presence of a uniform magnetic field. It takes into account the interactions between the magnetic field and the electron and proton in the atom.

2. How does a homogeneous magnetic vector potential affect the energy levels of a hydrogen atom?

The presence of a homogeneous magnetic vector potential causes a splitting of the energy levels in a hydrogen atom. This is known as the Zeeman effect, where the energy levels are shifted due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electron's magnetic moment.

3. What is the significance of studying a hydrogen atom in a homogeneous magnetic vector potential?

Studying a hydrogen atom in a homogeneous magnetic vector potential allows us to better understand the behavior of atoms in the presence of a magnetic field. It has also been used to develop advanced technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

4. How is the magnetic field strength related to the energy levels in a hydrogen atom in a homogeneous magnetic vector potential?

The energy levels in a hydrogen atom are directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that a stronger magnetic field will result in a larger energy splitting between the levels.

5. Can the homogeneous magnetic vector potential affect the chemical properties of a hydrogen atom?

Yes, the presence of a homogeneous magnetic vector potential can affect the chemical properties of a hydrogen atom. This is because the energy levels of the atom are shifted, which can influence the way it interacts with other atoms and molecules. This is especially important in fields such as quantum chemistry and materials science.