Hydrogen Ground State Energies - Question

In summary, the hydrogen atom has a binding energy of -13.6 eV, meaning that it takes this amount of energy to remove the electron from the proton and place it at rest far away. The total energy of the electron is -13.6 eV, with -27.2 eV being potential energy and +13.6 eV being kinetic energy. At the bohr radius, the electron requires 13.6 eV to be freed from the nucleus, and it can never be more strongly bound than this. Whether the ground state electron has an overall energy of 0 depends on how you define its kinetic energy when bound to the proton.
teacherphys
I am an A-level teacher so I don't want an answer in terms of anything too complicated (for my students!)

The hydrogen atom has a ground state energy of -13.6eV. I am happy with this.

This means that the electron needs 13.6eV of kinetic energy in order to become free of the nucleus.

What I am unsure about is, if the electron has a potential energy of -13.6 eV, then does this mean that it has no kinetic energy? Because if it has kinetic energy, then this would mean that it would need less than 13.6 eV to become free of the nucleus because it already has some of the positive energy it needs.

We teach that the closest the electron can get to the nucleus is when KE=PE. This occurs when r = bohr radius.

So is the actual radius of the ground state electron greater than this so that we can reduce the kinetic energy required so that it has -13.6 eV of energy.

Now of course, I know that we don't know the radius of the electron orbit. We can merely speculate and look at a probability distribution.

I guess what my question could boil down to is: does the ground state electron have an overall energy of 0?

Please help and be gentle. I am asking for this idea to be explained without any university physics!

Physics news on Phys.org
The electron in hydrogren has a binding energy of -13.6 eV. This is the energy it would take to remove the electron from the proton and place it at rest far away. This you know.

This energy cost is not purely potential energy. The potential energy of the electron in the ground state of hydrogen is 2*-13.6 eV = -27.2 eV. The kinetic energy of the electron is + 13.6 eV. The total energy is +13.6 eV - 27.2 eV = -13.6 eV, which is the result you know. The fact that this energy is negative means the electron is bound to the proton, and you must supply energy to liberate it.

The meaning of the binding energy in more detail is as follows. You want to take the electron moving with a kinetic energy of 13.6 eV and with a potential energy of -27.2 eV and move it far away to a final state at rest. Far away means no final potential energy. At rest means no final kinetic energy. You can think of it as putting your initial kinetic energy towards liberating the electron, but even after you use your 13.6 eV of initial kinetic energy, you still need to pay an additional 13.6 eV to get the total energy to zero i.e. an electron at rest far away.

Hope this helps clarify the meaning of the binding energy for your students. I don't know how much you want to get into this, but KE can't equal PE because KE is positive while PE is negative. What is true in hydrogren is that the absolute value of PE is twice KE as I said above.

At the bohr radius of hydrogen, about 53 picometers (the size of a hydrogen atom you see in a space filled chemistry picture), it takes 13.6 evolts of energy to remove the electron from the proton using coulombs laws.

It is interesting that the electron never becomes more strongly bound to the hydrogen atom then 13.6 evolts.

To the question "does the ground state electron have an overall energy of 0?"

If you say the electron has -13.6 evolts of KE when bound to the proton then it will take 27.2 evolts worth of energy to free it. If you say the electron has 0 evolts of KE when bound to the proton then it will take 13.6 evolts worth of energy to free it.

Last edited:

Related to Hydrogen Ground State Energies - Question

1. What is the hydrogen ground state energy?

The hydrogen ground state energy refers to the lowest energy level that an electron can occupy in a hydrogen atom. It is the state in which the electron is closest to the nucleus and has the least amount of energy.

2. How is the hydrogen ground state energy calculated?

The hydrogen ground state energy can be calculated using the Rydberg formula, which is given by E = -13.6/n2 electron volts (eV), where n is the principal quantum number. This formula takes into account the energy levels of the electron and the attractive force between the electron and the nucleus.

3. Why is the hydrogen ground state energy important?

The hydrogen ground state energy is important because it serves as a reference point for all other energy levels in the hydrogen atom. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electrons in other atoms and molecules, as well as in various chemical reactions.

4. How does the hydrogen ground state energy relate to the spectral lines of hydrogen?

The hydrogen ground state energy is directly related to the spectral lines of hydrogen. When an electron jumps from a higher energy level to the ground state, it emits energy in the form of light, which produces spectral lines. The energy of each spectral line corresponds to the energy difference between the ground state and the higher energy level.

5. Can the hydrogen ground state energy be changed?

Yes, the hydrogen ground state energy can be changed by altering the attractive force between the electron and the nucleus. This can be achieved by applying an external electric or magnetic field, which can shift the energy levels and change the ground state energy.

Back