Hydrogen wave function in terms of m_z after m_y measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the wave function for hydrogen, specifically at t=0 when a measurement is taken and the resulting values of l and m_y are found. The normalized wave function after the measurement is a linear combination of the original states with mz, and the operator applied may be Ly. The possible values of an energy measurement would be one of the pre-defined energy levels for hydrogen, but it is unclear which one. It could be the same as the original energy of the wave function prior to the measurement or a combination of the original energy levels based on the collapsed wave function's new coefficients. Further clarification and assistance is needed in determining the specific values.
sapphire_glow

Homework Statement

Given the following wave function for hydrogen:

psi(r, t=0) = (1/sqrt(10))*(2*psi_100 - psi_210 + sqrt(2)*psi_211 + sqrt(3)*psi_21(-1))

where the subscripts show n, l, m_z, respectively, and the psi_nlm_z are already normalized.

- At t=0, we measure and find l = 1 and m_y = +1. Now what is the normalized wave function immediately after the measurement, in terms of the psi_nlm_z from the original expression? Also, what are the possible values of an energy measurement?

Homework Equations

- psi_21(my=+1) = 1/(sqrt(10))*(C1*2*psi_100 - C2*psi_210 + C3*sqrt(2)*psi_211 + C4*sqrt(3)*psi_21(-1))

- Ly |l, z> = (-i/2)*(L+ - L-) |l, z>, with known eigenvalues for L+ and L- (if useful)

The Attempt at a Solution

As shown in relevant equation #1, the result of the measurement must be a linear combination of the original states with mz, as that's all we have to start with (the measurement collapses the original wave function). I'm not really sure what to do next, though... anyone have any pointers? Is it true that the result of m_y = 1 implies that the operator applied here must have been Ly? (hence the second equation tentatively given in part 2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Or is the result of m_y = +1 simply from a measurement of psi(r, t=0), and no operator has been applied as of yet? (in which case, what do I do?)As for the second part, I'm assuming that the energy measurement would be one of the pre-defined energy levels for hydrogen, but I'm not really sure which one. Would it be the same as the original energy of the wave function prior to the measurement? (i.e., the sum of the energies of its individual components) Or would it be some combination of the original energy levels, based on the collapsed wave function's new coefficients? (if so, how would I figure out which one?) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

FAQ: Hydrogen wave function in terms of m_z after m_y measurement

1. What is a hydrogen wave function?

A hydrogen wave function is a mathematical representation of the probability of finding an electron in a specific location in the hydrogen atom. It takes into account the electron's position, energy, and spin.

2. How is the hydrogen wave function related to m_z after m_y measurement?

The hydrogen wave function is a complex function that describes the electron's state in the atom. After a measurement is made on the y-axis, the wave function collapses and the new wave function describes the electron's state along the z-axis.

3. What does m_z represent in the hydrogen wave function?

m_z represents the electron's magnetic quantum number, which describes the orientation of the electron's spin in relation to a magnetic field. It can take on values of -l, -l+1, ..., 0, ..., l-1, l, where l is the principal quantum number.

4. How does the measurement of m_y affect the hydrogen wave function?

The measurement of m_y causes the wave function to collapse, resulting in a new wave function that describes the electron's state along the z-axis. The probability of finding the electron in a specific location on the z-axis will be different than before the measurement was made.

5. Can the hydrogen wave function be used to predict the electron's exact location in the atom?

No, the hydrogen wave function can only give the probability of finding the electron in a specific location. The exact location of the electron cannot be determined due to the inherent uncertainty of quantum mechanics.