Hydrostatic Equilibrium in General Relativity

Keep up the good work!In summary, the conversation revolved around a high school student asking for help with their handwriting and understanding of a LaTex package for equations. They also received encouragement for their progress in learning GR.
Totalderiv
What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.pdf
    792.1 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Any one?

Last edited:
Looks as though I left out some work, so I rescanned and everything should be there.

Totalderiv said:
What am I doing wrong?

The first thing you are doing wrong is the thing you've uploaded here: if I were your GR teacher, I would have given you a big O for your handwriting! Why have they put this beautiful LaTex package on the site so you can easily typeset your equations and make us understand what you are doing?!

AB

First of all, I'm a high school student...and I know my hand writing sucks, and I'm not sure what you mean by LaTex package?

Totalderiv said:
First of all, I'm a high school student...and I know my hand writing sucks, and I'm not sure what you mean by LaTex package?

It is a package that can help you typeset equations directly on the forums:

See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

Or you can easily use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Word" !

Btw. congratulations on learning stuff in GR this soon!

AB

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Hydrostatic Equilibrium in General Relativity

1. What is hydrostatic equilibrium in general relativity?

Hydrostatic equilibrium in general relativity is a state of balance in which the gravitational forces of a massive object are counteracted by the pressure forces within the object. This balance allows the object to maintain a stable shape and not collapse under its own weight.

2. How is hydrostatic equilibrium affected by general relativity?

In general relativity, the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects affects the concept of hydrostatic equilibrium. The pressure forces within an object must now be considered in the context of the curvature of spacetime, rather than just the force of gravity.

3. What are the implications of hydrostatic equilibrium in general relativity for understanding the structure of stars?

Hydrostatic equilibrium in general relativity is crucial for understanding the structure and evolution of stars. It allows us to predict the distribution of mass and energy within a star, and how this changes over time as the star ages.

4. How is hydrostatic equilibrium tested in the context of general relativity?

Hydrostatic equilibrium in general relativity can be tested through observations of the properties of stars and other massive objects. As a star evolves, changes in its mass, size, and temperature can provide evidence for whether or not it is in hydrostatic equilibrium.

5. Can hydrostatic equilibrium in general relativity explain the behavior of black holes?

Hydrostatic equilibrium in general relativity can explain the structure and behavior of black holes. The extreme gravitational forces of a black hole are counteracted by the immense pressure forces within it, allowing it to maintain a stable shape and prevent it from collapsing further.