Hydrostatic force, half circle

In summary, the hydrostatic force on any side of a bottom half-circle with a 6 m diameter is 6.7x104 N.
kevtimc

Homework Statement

Find the hydrostatic force on any side of a bottom half-circle with a 6 m diameter with the top 1 m above water level.

http://img377.imageshack.us/my.php?image=45095885io3.png"

Homework Equations

P = 1000 * 9.8 (mass density of water) * displacement
A = l * w
F = P * A

The Attempt at a Solution

Pressure = density * gravity * displacement
displacement = (2 - y)

x = [tex]2\sqrt{9 - y^2}[/tex]
A = x * delta y (for any rectangular strip)

I'm concerned with my displacement; would it be 2 - y?
Would I be integrating from -1 to -3?

EDIT: I looked over the problem again, I think what we really have is a semi circle with a radius of 2 at sea level.
The area would be 2 * sqrt(4 - y^2) and the displacement just y, I think :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you do not have a semi-circle with a radius of 2: the problem specifically says a "half-circle with a 6 m diameter" so you have a semi-circle with a radius of 3 m, not two. The fact that the water only comes up to 1 m below the top means that the depth for any y (with [itex]x= \sqrt{9- y^2}[/itex]) is y-1. You will want to integrate from y= 1 to y= 3.
(Note: I've taken my positive y-axis downward to avoid negatives.)

HallsofIvy said:
No, you do not have a semi-circle with a radius of 2: the problem specifically says a "half-circle with a 6 m diameter" so you have a semi-circle with a radius of 3 m, not two. The fact that the water only comes up to 1 m below the top means that the depth for any y (with [itex]x= \sqrt{9- y^2}[/itex]) is y-1. You will want to integrate from y= 1 to y= 3.
(Note: I've taken my positive y-axis downward to avoid negatives.)

Thanks, but I'm having trouble with the second integral in the problem:

[tex]2pg \int (y-1) * \sqrt{9-y^2}[/tex]

For: [tex]2pg\int \sqrt{9-y^2}[/tex] from 1 - 3 (when integrals are seperated)

doesn't that evaluate to [tex]2pg \int9*cos^2\theta[/tex] ?

I'm not getting the correct answer when I evaluate this integral.

Last edited:
I'm having a problem with the exact same problem. The answer should be 6.7x104N, but I have yet to get this answer.

I evaluate [tex]2pg\int(y-1)\sqrt{9-y^{2}}dy[/tex] from 1 to 3

And get: [tex]2pg\inty\sqrt{9-y^{2}dy - 2pg\int\sqrt{9-y^{2}}dy[/tex] from 1 to 3.

I then do u substitution for the first integral using [tex]u=9-y^{2}, du=-2y, -\frac{1}{2}du=ydy[/tex]

For the second integral, since the are is a semicircle, I use [tex]2pg\pi3^{2}[/tex]

So I have: [tex]-pg\inty\sqrt{u}du - 2pg\pi3^{2}[/tex] from 1 to 3.

Then I take the antiderive of the first integral to get

[tex]-pg\frac{2}{3}(9-y^{2})^{\frac{3}{2}} - 2pg\pi3^{2}[/tex]

From here I plug in the numbers and get:

[tex]-147832-277088[/tex] which give me [tex]-424920[/tex] I then divide it by 2, since it says to find the Hydrostatic Force on one side of the semicircle to get [tex]2.1x10^{5}[/tex]

I think I'm making a little mistake somewhere, but I can't seem to figure out where. Any help would be appreciated.

Related to Hydrostatic force, half circle

1. What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the force exerted by a fluid on an object that is submerged or partially submerged in the fluid. It is a result of the pressure exerted by the fluid on the object.

2. How is hydrostatic force calculated?

Hydrostatic force can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the gravitational acceleration and the submerged volume of the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating hydrostatic force on a half circle?

The formula for calculating hydrostatic force on a half circle is F = (ρgV)/2, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the gravitational acceleration, and V is the volume of the half circle submerged in the fluid.

4. How does the depth of immersion affect hydrostatic force?

The depth of immersion has a direct effect on the hydrostatic force. As the depth of immersion increases, the hydrostatic force also increases.

5. What are some real-world applications of hydrostatic force on a half circle?

Some real-world applications of hydrostatic force on a half circle include the force exerted by water on a dam, the force exerted by a liquid on the walls of a container, and the force exerted by water on the hull of a boat.