Hydrostatic Pressure: Calculate Force on Cylindrical Tank

In summary, the problem involves determining the force exerted on a cylindrical tank lying on its side and partially filled with a liquid. The tank has a base radius of 9.4 meters and the liquid has a density of 1260 kilograms per cubic meter. The maximum depth of the liquid in the tank is 14 meters. The equation for calculating the force exerted on the side of the tank is F = ∫(σdA), where σ is the density of the liquid and A is the area of the end of the tank. The depth of the liquid needs to be represented as a function of y, and can potentially be expressed as y-14.
africanmasks

Homework Statement

A cylindrical tank, with base radius 9.4 meter, lies on its side and is partially filled with a liquid whose density is [tex]\sigma[/tex]=1260 kilograms per cubic meter. The liquid fills the tank to a maximum depth of 14 meters. Determine the amount of force (in Newtons) exerted on a flat side of the tank.

Homework Equations

F=[tex]\sigma[/tex]dA

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help setting it up.

So far I have:

F= int (from -9.4 to 9.4) (14-y) 2(88.36-y^2)^(1/2)

Is that right? Or should be from 0 to 14?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure is a variable function of the depth. You have to integrate the pressure over the area of the end of the tank.

africanmasks said:
I have everything set-up, but I don't know what the depth is. Is it just 14 or y-14?

You need to let the depth be a function of y. You might be able to use y-14, but you will definitely need a y somewhere (finding depth as a function of y can be tricky and was one of the hardest things for me for these kinds of pressure problems since there can be more than one way to set it up).

Related to Hydrostatic Pressure: Calculate Force on Cylindrical Tank

1. What is hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at rest due to the weight of the fluid above it.

2. How is hydrostatic pressure calculated?

Hydrostatic pressure can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the acceleration due to gravity and the height of the fluid column.

3. What is the formula for calculating the force on a cylindrical tank?

The formula for calculating the force on a cylindrical tank is F = πr²hρg, where F is the force, π is the mathematical constant pi, r is the radius of the tank, h is the height of the fluid column, ρ is the density of the fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What units are used to measure hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure is typically measured in units of Pascal (Pa), which is equivalent to 1 Newton per square meter (N/m²).

5. How can hydrostatic pressure be used in real-world applications?

Hydrostatic pressure is used in numerous real-world applications, such as determining the pressure on the walls of a swimming pool, calculating the force on the hull of a submarine, and measuring the pressure in underground water systems.

Back