Hydrostatic stress on cube placed in deep sea

In summary, the maximum shear stress on a metal cube placed in deep sea will be zero due to hydrostatic conditions and the isotropic nature of the stress tensor in three dimensions. This applies to any orientation of the cube, as the stress vector on an arbitrary plane will be normal to the plane. This information was provided in an interview question at BARC for mechanical engineers.
Ravi Singh choudhary
Ques: If one metal cube placed in deep sea where will be maximum shear stress in cube?

What I know: In hydrostatic condition there would be no shear stress, that means on any face of cube there would be not shear stress at all.
In case of two dimensional stress; if we have same normal stress on the sides and zero shear stress we cannot draw Mohr circle; that means we cannot have shear stress in any orientation.

My doubt: Whether it would same for three dimensional cube as in 2D case.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ravi Singh choudhary said:
Ques: If one metal cube placed in deep sea where will be maximum shear stress in cube?

What I know: In hydrostatic condition there would be no shear stress, that means on any face of cube there would be not shear stress at all.
In case of two dimensional stress; if we have same normal stress on the sides and zero shear stress we cannot draw Mohr circle; that means we cannot have shear stress in any orientation.

Hi Ravi, Is this question for schoolwork?

Ravi Singh choudhary said:

It's the same for 3D. The stress tensor will be isotropic, and the stress vector on an arbitrary plane of any orientation through the cube will be normal to the plane. There will be no shear stress.

Likes Ravi Singh choudhary
berkeman said:
Hi Ravi, Is this question for schoolwork?
No this was once asked in BARC interview for mechanical engineers

Chestermiller said:
It's the same for 3D. The stress tensor will be isotropic, and the stress vector on an arbitrary plane of any orientation through the cube will be normal to the plane. There will be no shear stress.
Thanks sir.

Related to Hydrostatic stress on cube placed in deep sea

1. What is hydrostatic stress?

Hydrostatic stress refers to the force exerted by a fluid on an object that is submerged in it. This force is dependent on the density of the fluid and the depth of the object in the fluid.

2. How does hydrostatic stress affect a cube placed in deep sea?

When a cube is placed in deep sea, it experiences hydrostatic stress from the surrounding water. The deeper the cube is submerged, the greater the hydrostatic pressure exerted on it. This can cause deformation or even collapse of the cube if it is not strong enough.

3. What factors affect the hydrostatic stress on a cube in deep sea?

The main factors that affect hydrostatic stress on a cube in deep sea include the density of the surrounding water, the depth at which the cube is placed, and the dimensions and material properties of the cube itself.

4. How can hydrostatic stress on a cube in deep sea be calculated?

The formula for hydrostatic stress is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the object in the fluid. By plugging in the values for these variables, the hydrostatic stress on a cube in deep sea can be calculated.

5. What are the implications of hydrostatic stress on structures placed in deep sea?

Hydrostatic stress can have significant implications on the design and stability of structures placed in deep sea. Engineers must carefully consider the hydrostatic stress when designing these structures to ensure they can withstand the pressure and prevent collapse or damage.