Hydrostatics - force on pistons in fluid

In summary, the conversation discusses a cubical container filled with liquid and pistons covering holes on its lateral faces. The question posed is how much the pressure at the center of the container will increase if there is an increment in force on each piston. The solution is to increase the pressure at the center of the liquid by F/A, which will then balance the increase in pressure in the pistons.
Mandeep Deka

Homework Statement

Assume a cubical container with liquid filled in it and with one hole in each side in its four lateral faces with same cross-sectional area A. Now there are pistons covering these holes which keep the fluid inside it in equilibrium. If there is an increment of force F on each piston, what is the increment in the pressure at the center of the container?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not getting any way to get out with this problem, the answer is F/A but i am not able to figure out anything that i can really use to find the answer.
Please provide some clue, as to how do i get out of it!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mandeep! :smile:

Look at it the other way round …

how much would you have to increase the pressure inside the cylinder to make each piston exert an extra force F on something outside? :wink:

Thanks a lot...
I got it. If there is an increase of pressure of magnitude F/A in the center of the liquid, an equal pressure F/A will be exerted in all the directions which will balance the increase in the pressure in the pistons!

Related to Hydrostatics - force on pistons in fluid

1. What is hydrostatics?

Hydrostatics is the study of fluids at rest and the forces acting on them.

2. What is a fluid?

A fluid is a substance that can flow and take the shape of its container, such as water, air, and oil.

3. How does hydrostatic pressure affect pistons in a fluid?

Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at a certain depth. This pressure increases with depth, so the deeper a piston is submerged in a fluid, the greater the force it experiences.

4. What factors affect the force on a piston in a fluid?

The force on a piston in a fluid is affected by the density of the fluid, the area of the piston, and the depth at which the piston is submerged.

5. How is the force on a piston in a fluid calculated?

The force on a piston in a fluid can be calculated by multiplying the hydrostatic pressure by the area of the piston. This is known as Pascal's law.