Hydrostatics - Which point has higher pressure?

In summary, both points have the same pressure due to the concept of hydrostatic pressure. However, there is a small doubt about whether the boat adds additional pressure along with the atmospheric pressure. Water is almost incompressible, so the boat would not add pressure. The pressure at the given point in the water is the sum of the atmospheric pressure and the water "gauge" pressure. The boat acts as though it is the volume of water it displaces, with part of the boat under water and a smaller height of water column beneath it.
IBY
Just a little question. Say a boat is floating on water. Imagine now two points in the shallow, flat sea floor. One is below the ship and the other is just water all the way up. Which point has higher pressure?

I am imagining that both points have the same pressure due to the concept of hydrostatic pressure:
[tex]\rho g h[/tex]
But still, I have a little doubt. Wouldn't the boat add a little more pressure along with the atmospheric one?

Physics news on Phys.org

IBY said:
Just a little question. Say a boat is floating on water. Imagine now two points in the shallow, flat sea floor. One is below the ship and the other is just water all the way up. Which point has higher pressure?

I am imagining that both points have the same pressure due to the concept of hydrostatic pressure:
[tex]\rho g h[/tex]
you are correct
But still, I have a little doubt. Wouldn't the boat add a little more pressure
Unlike solids or soils, water is almost incompressible, so for all intent and pupose, it would not add pressure
along with the atmospheric one?
the pressure at the given point in the water is the sum of the atmospheric pressure plus the water 'gauge' pressure you noted in your equation.

The pressures are equal. The boat acts as though it is the volume of water it displaces.

Thanks!

Think: part of the boat is under water, so the height of the water column beneath it is less than h.

ehild

Related to Hydrostatics - Which point has higher pressure?

1. What is hydrostatics and how does it relate to pressure?

Hydrostatics is the study of fluids at rest and their behavior under the influence of external forces. Pressure is one of the key concepts in hydrostatics, as it is the force per unit area applied by a fluid on its surroundings.

2. How does the pressure at different points in a fluid vary?

The pressure at different points in a fluid depends on the depth of the point and the density of the fluid. The deeper the point is in the fluid, the higher the pressure will be, and the denser the fluid, the higher the pressure will be as well.

3. Which point in a fluid has the highest pressure?

The point with the highest pressure in a fluid is located at the bottom of the fluid, where the depth is greatest. This is due to the weight of the fluid above that point, creating a higher pressure.

4. How can I calculate the pressure at a specific point in a fluid?

The pressure at a specific point in a fluid can be calculated using the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the point in the fluid.

5. What is the practical application of understanding pressure in hydrostatics?

Understanding pressure in hydrostatics is important in many real-world applications, such as designing dams, calculating water pressure in plumbing systems, and predicting the behavior of fluids in hydraulic systems. It is also crucial in fields like oceanography and meteorology, where the study of pressure patterns can help predict weather patterns and ocean currents.

Back