Hyperfine Interaction Splitting

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the splitting between F=0 and F=1 in hydrogen, as well as determining the constant A and nuclear magnetic moment. The hyperfine splitting formula was mentioned and used to calculate the splitting intervals. The calculation in part (a) resulted in inconsistent and incorrect answers, while part (b) yielded a value for A and g_I that may not be reasonable. The factor of 109 in the calculation was also questioned.
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a)Find splitting between F=0 and F=1 in hydrogen
(b) Find the constant ##A## and nuclear magnetic moment
24pf0k4.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hyperfine splitting is given by:

[tex]H_{hf} = \frac{A}{2} \left[ F(F+1) - I(I+1) - J(J+1) \right] [/tex]

The intervals are given by:
[tex]\Delta E_{hf} = E_F - E_{F-1} = AF [/tex]

Part(a)

Using ##G_I = 5.6##, ##I= \frac{1}{2}## for a single proton, ##n = 1, Z = 1## I get splittings as ## 1.42~ MHz## and ##474.6 ~cm^{-1}##. Could somebody verify this?Part (b)

For ##J = \frac{9}{2}##, it implies that ##I = \frac{1}{2}## for the energy levels to be split into 6 levels, ##F= I + J = 0,1,2,3,4,5##.

Using the interval rule, the energy intervals are ##A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A##.

Taking the maximum energy - minimum energy observed = energy spacing between F=0 and F=5.

[tex]15 A = 10^9 h (9568.19-2312.87) [/tex]

This gives ##A = 3.21 \times 10^{-22}## and ##g_i \mu_N = 3.65 \times 10^{-23}##.

However, this means that ##g_I = 7200##. Is this reasonable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers in (a) are inconsistent by a factor of 10, and both are wrong by some power of 10.
unscientific said:
Taking the maximum energy - minimum energy observed = energy spacing between F=0 and F=5.
I don't think that makes sense. Those photon energies are differences between states already, not the absolute energy of something.
Also, where does the factor of 109 come from?

mfb said:
Your answers in (a) are inconsistent by a factor of 10, and both are wrong by some power of 10.
I don't think that makes sense. Those photon energies are differences between states already, not the absolute energy of something.
Also, where does the factor of 109 come from?

I'm thinking consider a transition from the upper level to the F=5 level vs the transition from the upper level to the F=0 level. The difference in energy observed would be the spacing between F=0 and F=5 levels, which is 15A.

Related to Hyperfine Interaction Splitting

1. What is hyperfine interaction splitting?

Hyperfine interaction splitting is the phenomenon where atomic energy levels are split into multiple sub-levels due to the interaction between the nucleus and the electron's magnetic moment.

2. How does hyperfine interaction splitting occur?

Hyperfine interaction splitting is caused by the coupling of the nuclear spin and the electron spin in an atom. This interaction leads to a small difference in energy between the different sub-levels, resulting in the splitting of the energy levels.

3. What is the significance of hyperfine interaction splitting?

Hyperfine interaction splitting is important in areas such as atomic and molecular physics, nuclear physics, and quantum chemistry. It allows for the precise measurement and understanding of atomic energy levels and can also be used to study nuclear properties and electron-nucleus interactions.

4. How is hyperfine interaction splitting measured?

Hyperfine interaction splitting is typically measured using techniques such as spectroscopy, which involves analyzing the absorption or emission of light by an atom. Other methods include nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) and electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR).

5. Can hyperfine interaction splitting be manipulated?

Yes, hyperfine interaction splitting can be manipulated through the application of external magnetic fields. This allows for the control and manipulation of the energy levels, which has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and atomic clocks.