Hypothetical Question of Virtual Particles and Magnets

In summary: So, no, you wouldn't be able to see the changes that happen with the magnet - they would be too fast for the detector to pick up.
Fischer777
I wasn't sure where to put this question, since it didn't seem to fit any category. However, because it brings up the topic of virtual particles, I'll ask here.

From what I understand, virtual particles can travel faster than light, and it is virtual photons that are responsible for the attraction between two magnets. So my question is this: if there was a magnet that could supposedly be turned on and off, and there was a device that could detect the changes in that magnetic field from a distance away, would that device be able to pick up the changes as they happen (instantly)? Or would there still be some sort of delay?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fischer777 said:
I wasn't sure where to put this question, since it didn't seem to fit any category. However, because it brings up the topic of virtual particles, I'll ask here.

From what I understand, virtual particles can travel faster than light, and it is virtual photons that are responsible for the attraction between two magnets. So my question is this: if there was a magnet that could supposedly be turned on and off, and there was a device that could detect the changes in that magnetic field from a distance away, would that device be able to pick up the changes as they happen (instantly)? Or would there still be some sort of delay?
Virtual particles - faster than light?

To answer your question - no signal that contains information (like in your question) can travel faster than light.

Fischer777 said:

Also, it's very dangerous to think of virtual particles as real things (that's why we call them virtual). They're really more of a quirk of a mathematical approximation we make in quantum field theory.

Related to Hypothetical Question of Virtual Particles and Magnets

1. What are virtual particles?

Virtual particles are particles that exist for a short period of time and cannot be directly observed. They are a result of the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics and constantly pop in and out of existence in the vacuum of space.

2. How do virtual particles interact with magnets?

Virtual particles do not interact with magnets directly. However, they can indirectly affect the behavior of magnets through the creation of electromagnetic fields.

3. Can virtual particles be harnessed for energy using magnets?

No, virtual particles cannot be harnessed for energy using magnets as they do not have a physical existence and cannot be manipulated or controlled.

4. Can virtual particles be observed in experiments with magnets?

No, virtual particles cannot be directly observed in experiments with magnets. However, their effects can be observed through the behavior of particles and their interactions with magnetic fields.

5. Can virtual particles explain the phenomenon of magnetism?

Virtual particles play a role in the explanation of magnetism through their creation of electromagnetic fields. However, they are just one aspect of the complex phenomenon of magnetism, which also involves the alignment and movement of electrons in materials.