I am an idiot, me. (Find the force of a tennis ball)

In summary: Then you can use the work done equation.In summary, the tennis ball is accelerated over a distance of 44 cm and the net force is 130 N.
Blablablabla
This seems like such a pathetically elementary problem, and I feel like a total moron right now. Well, here it is:

When a 58 gram tennis ball is served, it accelerates from rest to a speed of 45 m/s. The impact of the racket gives the ball a constant acceleration over a distance of 44 cm. What is the magnitude of the net force acting on the ball?

The answer is 130 N. The only force formula I know is f=ma. I know that the distance (44 cm) is supposed to be used, and maybe gravity (9.8 m/s2) should be considered but I have no clue how. Thanks for any help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Blablablabla said:
This seems like such a pathetically elementary problem, and I feel like a total moron right now. Well, here it is:

When a 58 gram tennis ball is served, it accelerates from rest to a speed of 45 m/s. The impact of the racket gives the ball a constant acceleration over a distance of 44 cm. What is the magnitude of the net force acting on the ball?

The answer is 130 N. The only force formula I know is f=ma. I know that the distance (44 cm) is supposed to be used, and maybe gravity (9.8 m/s2) should be considered but I have no clue how. Thanks for any help :(
Why would acceleration of gravity have anything to do with this? It doesn't.

Do you know how the work done on an object is related to the object's change in kinetic energy?

SammyS's suggestion that you look at the change in energy, the work done by the racket, is probably the simplest way to do this.

However, since you say "The only force formula I know is f=ma", you can do it that way. With a constant acceleration, a, and initial speed 0, the speed after the acceleration is v= at and the total distance moved would be (1/2)at^2. You know, then, that at= 45 m/s and (1/2)at^2= .44 m. You can solve the first equation for t in terms of a and then put that into the second equation to get an equation in the single variable a. After you know a, you can use "f= ma".

Before you do any of that, convert your mass to kg and your distance to meters.

First of all, I want to assure you that there is no such thing as an "idiot" in science. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, and it takes time and practice to fully understand complex concepts. So please do not be too hard on yourself.

Now, to find the force of the tennis ball, we can use the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the mass of the tennis ball is 58 grams, or 0.058 kg. The acceleration can be calculated using the equation a=Δv/Δt, where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the change in time. In this case, the ball starts from rest and reaches a speed of 45 m/s, so the change in velocity is 45 m/s. The change in time can be calculated using the distance and the initial velocity, using the equation d=vi*t+1/2at^2. In this case, the initial velocity is 0 m/s and the distance is 44 cm, or 0.44 m. Solving for time, we get t=0.44/0.5=0.88 seconds.

Now, we can plug these values into the formula a=Δv/Δt, which gives us an acceleration of 51.14 m/s^2. Finally, we can plug this value into the formula F=ma, where m=0.058 kg and a=51.14 m/s^2. This gives us a force of 2.97 N. However, we also need to consider the force of gravity acting on the ball. Since the ball is in motion, we can use the formula F=mg, where m=0.058 kg and g=9.8 m/s^2. This gives us a force of 0.57 N.

To find the net force, we need to add these two forces together. So the net force acting on the tennis ball is 2.97 N + 0.57 N = 3.54 N. This is the force that is responsible for the acceleration of the ball.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept better. Remember, science is all about learning and figuring things out, so don't be discouraged by feeling like a "moron." Keep

Related to I am an idiot, me. (Find the force of a tennis ball)

1. What is the force of a tennis ball?

The force of a tennis ball can vary depending on the conditions, such as the velocity and mass of the ball. However, on average, the force of a tennis ball is approximately 60-70 pounds of force when struck by a professional tennis player.

2. How is the force of a tennis ball calculated?

The force of a tennis ball can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. The mass of a tennis ball is approximately 58 grams, and its acceleration can be determined by measuring its velocity before and after being struck.

3. Does the force of a tennis ball change depending on the surface it is played on?

Yes, the force of a tennis ball can change depending on the surface it is played on. For example, a tennis ball will have a greater force when struck on a hard court compared to a clay court due to the surface's impact on the ball's rebound.

4. Can the force of a tennis ball be dangerous?

The force of a tennis ball can be dangerous if it is struck at high velocities or if it hits a person in a vulnerable area, such as the eye or head. It is important to always use caution when playing with or around tennis balls.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the force of a tennis ball?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the force of a tennis ball, such as air resistance, temperature, and the material of the ball. These factors can change the ball's velocity and mass, ultimately impacting the force it exerts when struck.