I am confused about the cantilever beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between flexural rigidity, natural frequency, and deflection in a cantilever beam with a load at its end. It is noted that the natural frequency is dependent only on the deflection, and that there is no correlation between the deflection and the end load or length of the beam. It is suggested that the lack of correlation could indicate that the flexural rigidity (EI) is the most important predictor of deflection and frequency. The issue of not having enough degrees of freedom to determine the effect of EI is also brought up.
rarara
Hi

For a cantilever beam with a load at its end,

flexural rigidity is:

EI = m*g*L3 / 3Y

Where m=mass, g=gravity, L=length of beam and Y=deflection

the natural frequency is

f = 1/(2∏) * √ ( 3EI/mL3)

Plugging in EI to the formula for f reveals that f depends only on the deflection, Y.

If I wanted to predict the frequency, would I therefore only need to measure Y? I am stuck in a circular logic loop because Y depends on m, L and EI but m and L cancel out in f =

Engineering news on Phys.org
rarara
Plugging in EI to the formula for f reveals that f depends only on the deflection, Y.

So why is that surprising?

The deflection depends upon the end load m.

The frequency is the √(ratio of elastic forces to inertial ones) ω = √(k/m)

and k, the spring constant = Load/Deflection.

The equation of motion is (for vubrations in the y direction)

[tex]m\frac{{{d^2}y}}{{d{t^2}}} + ky = 0[/tex]

Last edited:
I have measurements of m, L, Y and f

there is no relationship between Y and m, Y and L , F and m, F and L
there is correlation between Y and f

Could the lack of correlation in Y vs m and Y vs L indicate that in my system, EI is the most important predictor of Y and by extension f ?

I guess the real problem is that I do not have enough degrees of freedom to determine the effect of EI.

Related to I am confused about the cantilever beam

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural support that is anchored at one end and extends horizontally, without any additional support, to carry a load or weight at the other end.

2. How do you calculate the deflection of a cantilever beam?

The deflection of a cantilever beam can be calculated using the equation: δ = (5WL^4)/(384EI), where δ is the deflection, W is the load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross section of the beam.

3. What factors affect the strength of a cantilever beam?

The strength of a cantilever beam is affected by factors such as the material properties of the beam, the length of the beam, the type of load applied, and the cross-sectional shape of the beam.

4. How do you ensure the stability of a cantilever beam?

To ensure the stability of a cantilever beam, it is important to consider the design and construction of the beam, including the proper selection of materials, the use of appropriate support structures, and the application of appropriate load limits.

5. What are some common applications of cantilever beams?

Cantilever beams are commonly used in construction for the support of balconies, roofs, and bridges. They are also used in engineering and manufacturing for the support of shelves, cranes, and other structures.