I am having difficulty with a Gamma Distribution problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the occurrence of automobile accidents in the United States during a 72 hour holiday period. It is modeled as a Poisson process with a parameter lambda=10/hr. The time until the 10th accident is represented by V. The expected value of V is E[V] = 10 and the standard deviation is sqrt(10). The probability that V is larger than 1 hour is equivalent to the number of accidents within 1 hour being 9 or fewer. This can be calculated using the formula P(T_n > t) = sum(p_k(lambda*t)) for the time of the nth arrival in a rate-lambda Poisson process. The correct answer is 0.457
mattclgn

Homework Statement

Automobile accidents occur in the United States over a 72 hour holiday period like events in a Poisson process with parameter lambda=10/hr. V is the time until the 10th accident
a) what is expected value of V or E[V] and standard deviation?
b) What is the probability that V is larger than 1 hour?

Homework Equations

variance = n/(Lambda^2)
fX(x)={λαxα−1e−λxΓ(α) x>0 otherwise

∫∞0λαxα−1e−λxΓ(α)dx=λαΓ(α)∫∞0xα−1e−λxdx

I'm going to post to Wolfram, as I think I'm doing a terrible job of explaining the above...I hope that is okay http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GammaDistribution.html

The Attempt at a Solution

a)so since variance = n/(Lambda^2) or 10/100, we can take square root to get both
b)...no idea

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry should clarify, for a, I took the square root and it matched up with the answer in the back of the book.

mattclgn said:
sorry should clarify, for a, I took the square root and it matched up with the answer in the back of the book.

So, do you now know how to do (b)?

BTW: a random variable such as V--- which is a sum of a fixed, integer number of independent, identically-distributed exponential random variables---occurs so often it is given a name all on its own: it is an Erlang distribution. In this case, V has a 10-Erlang distribution (10 being the number of arrivals you are waiting for).

Of course, Erlang is a special case of Gamma, but has many nice properties that a general Gamma may not have. In particular, there is a close relationship between things like P(V <= t) and Poisson random variables on the interval [0,t]. Google "Erlang distribution".

Last edited:
Not really, eventually guy i was studying with figured out...or rather just tried...I guess the expression is brute forcing it. It's basically Poisson, but several of them summed, in this case, sum of i=0 to 10 to the i power 10 being equal to (lambda*x) lambda is 10 as it is mean (10/hr) and x is one as while normally right oriented, is greater than one.

i might be kind of off on this...

but we then multiply the entire thing by exp(LAMBDA*x) and it gives approx the correct answer within about 1000th of a decimal point. or .459...

But I think I'm supposed to have some simpler way to sort it out.

please forgive the lateness of this response.

mattclgn said:
Not really, eventually guy i was studying with figured out...or rather just tried...I guess the expression is brute forcing it. It's basically Poisson, but several of them summed, in this case, sum of i=0 to 10 to the i power 10 being equal to (lambda*x) lambda is 10 as it is mean (10/hr) and x is one as while normally right oriented, is greater than one.

i might be kind of off on this...

but we then multiply the entire thing by exp(LAMBDA*x) and it gives approx the correct answer within about 1000th of a decimal point. or .459...

But I think I'm supposed to have some simpler way to sort it out.

I presume that by "brute force" you mean you applied integration by parts 10 times and arrived at ##P(V > 10) = \sum_{i=0}^{10} p_i (10)##, where ##p_i(a) = e^{-a} a^i/i!## and ##a = \lambda t = 10 \times 1 = 10##. Is that what you did? Well: that is not correct; the summation should be from ##i = 0## to ##i = 9## only, and the numerical answer should be 0.4579. If the summation goes up to i = 10 the numerical value is .5830. Check your work again.

Anyway, a much easier way to derive the formula is to note that ##V > 1## means that the 10th arrival occurs later than 1 hour, so equivalently, the number of arrivals within 1 hour is 9 or fewer; that is: ##P(V > 1) = \sum_{n=0}^9 p_n(10)##. Of course, you still need to do some work to compute the sum, but you can by-pass all the integrations by parts.

In general, if ##T_n## is the time of the nth arrival in a rate-##\lambda## Poisson process, we have
[tex] P(T_n > t) = \sum_{k = 0}^{n-1} p_k(\lambda t) [/tex]
Here, ##p_k(a) = e^{-a} a^k/k!##.

Ray Vickson said:
I presume that by "brute force" you mean you applied integration by parts 10 times and arrived at ##P(V > 10) = \sum_{i=0}^{10} p_i (10)##, where ##p_i(a) = e^{-a} a^i/i!## and ##a = \lambda t = 10 \times 1 = 10##. Is that what you did? Well: that is not correct; the summation should be from ##i = 0## to ##i = 9## only, and the numerical answer should be 0.4579. If the summation goes up to i = 10 the numerical value is .5830. Check your work again.

Anyway, a much easier way to derive the formula is to note that ##V > 1## means that the 10th arrival occurs later than 1 hour, so equivalently, the number of arrivals within 1 hour is 9 or fewer; that is: ##P(V > 1) = \sum_{n=0}^9 p_n(10)##. Of course, you still need to do some work to compute the sum, but you can by-pass all the integrations by parts.

In general, if ##T_n## is the time of the nth arrival in a rate-##\lambda## Poisson process, we have
[tex] P(T_n > t) = \sum_{k = 0}^{n-1} p_k(\lambda t) [/tex]
Here, ##p_k(a) = e^{-a} a^k/k!##.
Okay, yeah, i got the right answer but did the wrong work!

It looks like I miscounted and just didn't do it until ten...or rather I counted up ten and included zero so i had a count of ten, but set the bounds incorrectly. I got 10086.57319 *exp(-10) or .457929714.

Okay, I'll try it again the other way you showed.

mattclgn said:
Okay, yeah, i got the right answer but did the wrong work!

It looks like I miscounted and just didn't do it until ten...or rather I counted up ten and included zero so i had a count of ten, but set the bounds incorrectly. I got 10086.57319 *exp(-10) or .457929714.

Okay, I'll try it again the other way you showed.

There is nothing to try; you will need to do exactly the same computation. The only difference is in the method of developing/justifying the formula; the formula itself is the same.

Related to I am having difficulty with a Gamma Distribution problem

1. What is a Gamma Distribution?

A Gamma Distribution is a continuous probability distribution that is used to model the time between events. It is often used in statistical analysis to represent the probability of a certain number of events occurring within a given time period.

2. How is a Gamma Distribution different from other distributions?

A Gamma Distribution is different from other distributions in that it is skewed to the right and can take on a wide range of shapes depending on the values of its parameters. It is also used to model continuous data, while other distributions such as the binomial or Poisson are used for discrete data.

3. What is the equation for a Gamma Distribution?

The equation for a Gamma Distribution is f(x) = (x^(α-1) * e^(-x/β)) / (β^α * Γ(α)), where x is a random variable, α is the shape parameter, β is the scale parameter, and Γ(α) is the gamma function.

4. How do I solve a problem involving a Gamma Distribution?

To solve a problem involving a Gamma Distribution, you will need to know the values of the shape and scale parameters, as well as any other relevant information such as the mean or standard deviation. You can then use the equation for the Gamma Distribution to calculate probabilities or other values.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Gamma Distribution?

The Gamma Distribution has many real-world applications, including in insurance and finance for modeling time between claims or events, in healthcare for modeling patient waiting times, and in manufacturing for modeling time between equipment failures. It is also commonly used in reliability analysis and survival analysis.