I am having trouble understanding this electrical diagram. Please help

In summary, Tony is seeking help with building a 4-Point resistivity measurement adapter and has come across a symbol on the schematic that he does not recognize. He is also unsure about what to do with the shielded wires or coaxial cables. Upon further investigation, it is revealed that the symbol represents shielded wires and a link to a resource is provided for more information.
tonyjnel
Hi! This is my first post.

I am trying to build a 4-Point resistivity measurement adapter according to instructions that can be found here:

"www.aeroelectric.com/articles/LowOhmsAdapter_3.pdf"

On the fifth page (the second page of the schematic) there is a symbol that I do not recognize (I have never really worked with electrical diagrams before). Around each of the wires coming down from the alligator clips, there are two loops with a vertical line and a dot on the left of the loop. This happens at a 4-pin socket and plug and I am wondering what exactly I am supposed to do there. Also, I don't know what to do about those loops at the alligator clip either.

Thanks for your help,
Tony

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh. Note that your parts list indicates that it's 22 gauge shielded wire.

FAQ: I am having trouble understanding this electrical diagram. Please help

1. What is the purpose of an electrical diagram?

An electrical diagram is a visual representation of an electrical circuit or system. It shows the connections between various components and how electricity flows through the system. It is used to aid in understanding, troubleshooting, and designing electrical systems.

2. What are the basic components of an electrical diagram?

The basic components of an electrical diagram include symbols for different electrical components such as resistors, capacitors, inductors, switches, and power sources. It also includes lines that represent wires and connections between components.

3. How do I read an electrical diagram?

To read an electrical diagram, start by familiarizing yourself with the symbols and their meanings. Then, follow the flow of electricity through the diagram, starting from the power source and tracing the path to each component. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the arrows on the lines, as they indicate the direction of current flow.

4. What can an electrical diagram help me with?

An electrical diagram can help you understand how a circuit or system works, troubleshoot issues, identify potential problems, and design new systems. It can also be used to document and communicate the layout and connections of an electrical system.

5. How can I improve my understanding of electrical diagrams?

To improve your understanding of electrical diagrams, it is important to familiarize yourself with the symbols and their meanings, as well as the principles of electricity and circuitry. Practice reading and interpreting different types of diagrams, and seek help or guidance from experts if needed.

Back