I am so confused, water displaced by a boat

In summary, the boat floating in fresh water displaces water weighing 34.7 kN. The question asks for the weight of the water that the boat displaces when floating in salt water. This can be found by calculating the difference in volume between fresh water and salt water, since the weight of the boat is equal to the weight of water it displaces. This problem relates to Archimedes' principle.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

A boat floating in fresh water displaces water weighing 34.7 kN.

(a) What is the weight of the water that this boat displaces when floating in salt water of density 1.10 x 10^3 kg/m3?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am utterly confused. They tell me the boat displaces a 34.7 kN weight of water, then ask for the weight of the water displaced. Looks like they gave it to me in the question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I've just been informed the weight actually refers to the boat. Answer is still in the question though. :P

Yes. I presume there's a part (b) that's non-trivial.

Ibix said:
Yes. I presume there's a part (b) that's non-trivial.

Yes, simply the difference of volume for the salt water and fresh water displaced.

I did beat the water temple in ocarina of time, I got this.

They give you the weight of the fresh water displaced, they want the weight of the salt water displaced. But since the weight of the water the boat displaces is equal to the weight of the boat (so long as the boat's floating) then yes, they would just be the same value.

Looks like a problem dedicated to Archimedes' principle.
Apparently the professor thought people would need a hint, so he added question (a)...

Related to I am so confused, water displaced by a boat

1. Why does water get displaced by a boat?

Water gets displaced by a boat because the boat is pushing the water out of its way as it moves through it. This displacement is caused by the boat's weight and shape, which creates a force that pushes the water aside.

2. How does displacement of water affect the buoyancy of a boat?

The displacement of water by a boat affects its buoyancy because the amount of water displaced is equal to the weight of the boat. This creates an upward force known as buoyancy, which helps keep the boat afloat.

3. What is the relationship between the size of a boat and the amount of water it displaces?

The size of a boat and the amount of water it displaces are directly related. A larger boat will displace more water than a smaller boat, as it has a greater surface area and weight.

4. How does the shape of a boat affect the displacement of water?

The shape of a boat can greatly affect the displacement of water. Boats with a wider hull and more surface area will displace more water, while boats with a narrow hull and less surface area will displace less water.

5. Does the speed of a boat affect the displacement of water?

Yes, the speed of a boat can affect the displacement of water. As a boat moves faster, it creates more force and therefore will displace more water. This can also affect the boat's stability and maneuverability.