I am working out of Sakurai and he says the integral with respect to

In summary, the integral with respect to p` of exp(ip`(x`-x``)/h-bar) is 2-Pi-h-bar times the dirac delta function of (x`-x``).
Berko
I am working out of Sakurai and he says the integral with respect to p` of exp(ip`(x`-x``)/h-bar) is 2-Pi-h-bar times the dirac delta function of (x`-x``). (Sorry, I am not sure how to make actual integrals).

I was wondering why this is true? For example, if x` = x``, isn't the integral infinity? And, if not, why is it well defined given the oscillations involved?

Thank you for your time.

P.S. This is page 54, equation 1.7.31 out of Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics, second edition.

Physics news on Phys.org

The explanation you look for can be found in any book on Fourier analysis and distribution theory.

Last edited:
Hi Berko! :smile:

Technically, the dirac delta function is not a function, it's a distribution (or "generalised function").

It is not intended to be on its own, it is always inside another integral.

ie, a distribution A(x) is only intended to be inside an ∫A(x)f(x) dx …

its "value" for any particular value of x, eg A(0), is not really relevant. :wink:

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distribution_(mathematics)" )

Last edited by a moderator:

One way to think of it might also be: what is the Fourier transform of [tex]\delta(x-x')[/tex]?

A way to think about this is to do

[tex]\int_{-A}^A e^{ikx} dk = [\frac{1}{ix}e^{ikx}]_{k=-A}^{k=A} = \frac{1}{ix}(e^{iAx} - e^{-iAx}) = 2 \frac{\sin{Ax}}{x}[/tex]

Now let A go to infinity. You get a function that is highly oscillatory every except right at x=0. You can do the integral of the function over all x; the result is 2 pi. So if you integrate this function against another function f(x), the oscillations will make everything cancel out except right in the region x=0, and the result will be 2*pi*f(0). So this suggests that you identify

[tex]\lim_{A \to \infty} 2 \frac{\sin{Ax}}{x} = 2 \pi \delta (x)[/tex]

@The_Duck: sometimes I wish there were "LIKE" buttons on here, i'd click it. Nice derivation.

Related to I am working out of Sakurai and he says the integral with respect to

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a specific range.

2. What does "with respect to" mean in an integral?

"With respect to" in an integral refers to the variable that is being used to calculate the function. It indicates which variable is being treated as the independent variable.

3. Why is Sakurai mentioned in this context?

Sakurai is most likely mentioned because he is a well-known physicist and mathematician who has made significant contributions to the field of quantum mechanics and mathematical physics. He may have developed a specific method or formula for solving integrals.

4. How is an integral calculated?

An integral is calculated using a process called integration, which involves finding the antiderivative of the function and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of the integral. This can be done using various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to calculate areas and volumes, determine the work done by a force, find the center of mass of an object, and solve optimization problems, among others.