I can't decide between AI and Physics....

• Programs
  • Thread starter Tri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ai Physics
In summary, the 18 year old is considering whether or not to study physics or cognitive science at UNI. He is considering the after math of the subjects and whether or not he would enjoy it. He is also considering whether or not he should study physics because of his general interest in it or if he should study cognitive science because it is more practical. He has also considered taking basic physics courses at college level.
Tri
I've been interested in these 2 subjects for some time now. I'm 18 atm and since I was 13 I've been extremely fascinated by artificial intelligence and theoretical physics. I've only acted on my interest in AI though since I became president of my robotics team and was heavily focused on programming autonomous robots. Now I'm entering UNI and I just can't tell if I should go down the Math/Philosophy route for AI/Cognitive science OR if my true passion is in physics. I spend almost all my time watching these lectures on quantum mechanics, cosmology inflation, quantum information, etc... And physics fulfills my desire to know everything... I just don't know if it's something id particularly enjoy doing. I took AP physics in high school and disliked it, it felt like engineering and I didn't like solving real world problems... But I still find myself attracted to the mysteries of the universe.

In any case, I want to learn about physics but I'm not sure about the after math of it, I've heard actual research is very dry and boring not to mention extremely competitive. How can I know if I truly should study physics or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't like solving physics problems then you would not like a physics major.

Bipolar Demon said:
If you don't like solving physics problems then you would not like a physics major.
Well, they just seem so specific and practical... Like calculate and predict this... Maybe I would end up liking it idk... I still find physics very interesting, what should I do about it?

You have another thread on this that is going in a similar direction. Is your plan to ask the same question over and over until you get an answer you like?

Likes Dr. Courtney and Bystander
Vanadium 50 said:
You have another thread on this that is going in a similar direction. Is your plan to ask the same question over and over until you get an answer you like?
no... I meant to ask here but the mods keep deleting this thread instead of the one on career advice

Tri said:
Well, they just seem so specific and practical... Like calculate and predict this... Maybe I would end up liking it idk... I still find physics very interesting, what should I do about it?
Sorry to hijack your threads but I feel like I've been in this situation before and I just want to speak out. When I started college I was also interested in multiple things and I couldn't decide so I just tried taking the most general classes that covered all my bases. By the time I was almost 21 I was much more clear where I wanted to head.

Even if you don't like solving problems I think just having an overall interest in physics is enough to justify taking classes and declaring a major. From what I hear CS will be an easier major and kind of more employable right out of college. Math is really abstract, if you like reality then I don't think math will help. I see math is just kind of for it's own beauty kind of major. but anyway just my three cents...

Last edited:
Likes Logical Dog
Tri said:

You must take a few basic physics courses at college level, I did not mean to dissuade you, I cannot speak for what a physicist does (only they can dumb it down for us, much like most professions). You must do more real physics (solving problems).

I studied basic mechanics and physics, I like solving basic problems, why don't you? surely this is an indicator you might not be suited for a physics major? or do you not like just AP Physics? go to any university library and look for halliday and resnicks fundamental of physics extended, that is beginning physics at bachelors level.

Actually, your post is VERY confusing! You must take a breath, jot down your ideas, stop watching silly youtube videos (:P and come back with a more concise post, I really have trouble logically connecting the dots in it.

I would be happy to answer questions about studying engineering though. Because that is what I do. Maybe the new hip course engineering physics would be interesting for you? :)

Last edited:
Likes Delong

Related to I can't decide between AI and Physics....

1. What are the key differences between AI and Physics?

The main difference between AI and Physics is that AI (Artificial Intelligence) is a branch of computer science that deals with creating intelligent machines that can perform tasks that typically require human intelligence, while Physics is a natural science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. AI is focused on developing algorithms and technologies that can mimic human intelligence, while Physics is concerned with understanding the fundamental laws that govern the universe.

2. Which field offers better career opportunities, AI or Physics?

Both AI and Physics offer great career opportunities, but it ultimately depends on your interests and skills. Currently, AI is a rapidly growing field with a high demand for professionals in various industries such as healthcare, finance, and technology. Physics, on the other hand, offers opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, and academia. It's important to research and explore both fields to determine which one aligns better with your career goals.

3. Can I combine AI and Physics in my career?

Yes, it is possible to combine AI and Physics in your career. In fact, many scientific fields are beginning to incorporate AI and machine learning into their research and studies. For example, in the field of astrophysics, AI is being used to analyze vast amounts of data from telescopes and satellites to gain a better understanding of the universe. Additionally, there are many interdisciplinary programs and research projects that combine AI and Physics.

4. Is a background in Physics necessary for studying AI?

No, a background in Physics is not necessary for studying AI. While a strong foundation in mathematics is important for both fields, AI does not require a deep understanding of Physics concepts. However, some subfields of AI, such as robotics and computer vision, may require some knowledge of Physics principles. Ultimately, it depends on the specific area of AI you are interested in pursuing.

5. Which field is more challenging, AI or Physics?

Both AI and Physics can be challenging in their own ways. AI involves complex algorithms and programming, while Physics requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to think critically. Ultimately, the level of difficulty may vary depending on individual strengths and interests. It's important to choose a field that you are passionate about, as it will make the challenges more enjoyable and worthwhile.