I didn't learn things in Calc 1 that is needed in Calc 2

In summary, Euler suggests that the sections from chapter 8 are not too important for understanding of more advanced topics, and recommends that I only study those sections. He also suggest that I should study sections 9.1, 9.2, 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, and 11.4. Mattmns says that I should study everything on my list, except for Ch. 10 and section 9.3-9.5.
Whoa! He already corrected his syllabus online. I can't help but to think that I saved the day. If I had a website I would put pictures of Superman, Batman, Spidermam, Green Lantern, and a picture of me at the top of the page.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now it says that we will cover Ch. 7,8,11,12.

Nothing000 said:
That picture is pretty funny huh? But I don't understand what you mean about the final exam time. What is wrong with that?
:smile:

And I think it's good he corrected his website. Even though you were the only one who said something to him (that you saw), I can imagine PLENTY of people were freaking out over this issue. I'd wager he lost a couple students!

Oh, and about the exam time, I was just thinking about how much an 8 am final exam sucks. At least I can't stand them.

I think your math department needs to have a meeting to think through their math curriculum then...first of all, most schools cover chapters 8, 9, and 12 in calc 2 and chapters 1-7 w/ parametric eqs in calc 1. Vector analysis/calculus, polar coordinates, and geometry/calculus in 3d are usually calc 3 topics. This is how it is at my school, and how it is at many other schools.

second, the topics that you're missing out on are VERY important and I don't see how they were just 'skipped'. I wouldn't worry at all about chapter 10 (DE should be covered exclusively in DE class), but you should see ALL of chapter 8 and know it well, and some of chapter 9 (arc length and maybe area of surface or revolution, but this might have been covered in calc 1).

Keep in mind that your calc sequence won't cover EVERYTHING in the textbook, like the DE, the probability, and many of the applications...these will be covered in suqsequent classes. (DE, prob/stats, and engineering/science classes)

edit: sorry, I just read the thread, and found that you corrected the problem. :p

Last edited:
Maxwell said:
Did you by any chance take your Calc 1 class at another school?

Because this is what I'm seeing:

Calc 1:
1 - Functions and Models
2 - Limits and Rate of Change
3 - Derivatives
4 - Applications of Differentiation
5 - Integrals
6 - Applications of Integration
7 - Inverse Functions

--------------------------
8 - Techniques of Integration
9 - Further Applications of Integration
10 - Differential Equations
11 - Parametric Equations and Polar Coordinates

-------------------------
Calc 2:
12 - Infinite Sequences and Series
13 - Vectors and the Geometry of Space
14 - Vector Functions

So where do you learn the material from chapters 8-11? The only reasonable thing I can think happened here is that you took your Calc 1 class at another school.

Most schools put chapter 8 into calc 2 and maybe chapter 9 too. Chapter 10 isn't covered until thestudent gets to diffEQ. Chapters 11, 13, and 14 are defnitely calc 3 concepts, except for maybe parametric EQs, which is a calc 1 topic. EVERY single school that operates on semesters use this curriculum, or a similar one.

Nothing000 said:
Alright, alright. I got the whole thing figured out. I contacted my professor from calc one (by the way I did take calc 1 at the same school) and she talked to people in the math department and it turns out that this professor I have for calc 2 is just a temporary professor and he was under the impression that our calc 2 started on ch. 12. When I talked to him he must have thought that I took calc 1 at a different school just like you thought. So the main guys at the math dept contacted this calc 2 prof. and told him the correct protocol for our calc series, and he was told to start on Ch. 8. I have no idea why no one else in the class as asking about this.
So he already started lecturing on ch. 12 today (which was the first day of class), so I bet he feels dumb. When I told him that we only coverd up to ch. 7 in calc one he looked at me like I was stupid or something. So this makes me feel A WHOLE LOT BETTER.

If he would have skipped chapter 8 then he would have made a big mistake. :-p

Damn straight!

wow good for you pointing out that mistake! :bugeye: I wouldn't have noticed if that happened in my math class since the profs like to skip back and forth between chapters all the time.

Are you sure that you are not in calc 3? If calc 2 goes through to ch14 what's left? Did you transfer from a school that does calc in 2 semesters to as school that does it in 3? If so I'd suggest that you go back and take calc ! again to get those missed chapters, In my opion Chapter 8 & 9 are essential and probabally the hardest chapters to teach yourself. I guess that some of the techniques for integration are not common, others like integration by parts are essentail. Forget chapter 10 but you need chapter 11 although its not too hard but its a lot easier to see worked out rather than just reading.

If you are a engineering major I would seriously advise you to go back and take the class that teaches those chapters again because you will need that informatiom throughout your major, gaurenteed!

Back