I don't get this pKa pH problem

• Thread starter DJSkopelitis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, The problem involves a compound with 2 ionizable groups, one with a pKa of 4.2 and the other with a pKa between 7 and 10. Adding 10.0 mL of 1.0M HCl to a 10.0 mL of 1.0M solution at a pH of 8.17 brings the pH down to 4.2. Using the equation pH = pKa + log [A-]/[HA], we find that the pKa of the second ionizable group is 4.44. However, the question may not be clear and it may be simpler than thought, with the pKa of the second group being 8.17.
DJSkopelitis
A Compound (not specified) has 2 ionizable groups. One is at pKa 4.2 and the other pKa is between 7 and 10. If you have 10.0 mL of a 1.0M solution at a pH of 8.17 and you add 10.0mL of 1.0M HCl which changes the pH to 4.2 what is the second pKa?

I tried working this problem out a few different ways and keep getting different answers. The last calculation I tried gave me a pKa of 4.44.

I'm using pH = pKa + log [A-]/[HA] I used pH = pKa-log[HA] / 2 to get an HA of 1.38. I plugged 8.17 and 4.2 in respectively as pH and pKa. Looking at it now that doesn't seem right.

But where I get stuck is how to add the 0.01 moles of HCl into the equation. I also was wondering if the answer is much more simple than I think it is. At the second ionizable group's pKa it would equal the pH right? So if that's the case is the pKa just 8.17? Or am I just completely wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
8.17 it is :smile:

I like simplicity of that question.

Maybe the question is not quite clear. I think it is not meant to say that 'the substance' has that pH when dissolved, rather it has been brought to that pH. Say someone dissolved some Na2X and already added some acid. Or they had dissolved some H2X and added an amount of NaOH which brought to pH up to 8.17.

It is convenient to remind yourself, and I think you are supposed to use it here, that when a group is half titrated half dissociated) then the pH = its pK and vice versa.

Then there are no very complex calculations at all here.

There is another related but not identical problem right now which you should understand if you have to be conversant and at ease with these problems.https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1889957&postcount=1

For cases I expect you will soon have to deal with where you do need more calculation it is always done from 3 and a half principles which are here https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1754973&postcount=3

Related to I don't get this pKa pH problem

1. What is the difference between pKa and pH?

pKa and pH are both measures of acidity, but they represent different things. pKa is a measure of the strength of an acid, while pH is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions in a solution. In other words, pKa tells us how likely an acid is to donate a proton, while pH tells us how many protons are actually present in a solution.

2. How do you calculate pKa from pH?

To calculate pKa from pH, you can use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pKa = pH + log([A-]/[HA]), where [A-] is the concentration of the conjugate base and [HA] is the concentration of the acid. However, it is important to note that pKa is a constant for a specific acid, and does not change with pH.

3. What does a low pKa value indicate?

A low pKa value indicates that the acid is strong, meaning it is more likely to donate a proton. This means that the acid will dissociate more easily in a solution, resulting in a higher concentration of H+ ions and a lower pH.

4. What is the relationship between pKa and acidity?

The lower the pKa, the stronger the acid and the more acidic the solution. This is because a lower pKa value means that the acid will more readily dissociate and donate a proton, resulting in a higher concentration of H+ ions and a lower pH.

5. How does temperature affect pKa?

Temperature does not directly affect pKa, as it is a constant for a specific acid. However, temperature can indirectly affect pKa by changing the strength of the acid. For example, higher temperatures can make acids weaker and increase their pKa values, while lower temperatures can make acids stronger and decrease their pKa values.