I don't understand how parameters are eliminated

• Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parameters
In summary, the domain of x is questionable, and the range of y is [-2, -8] according to the given information.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

Eliminate the parameter and identify the graph of the pair of parametric equations. Determine the domain (the set of x-coordinates) and the range (the set of y-coordinates).

x = sin t, y = -3 sin t - 5

Homework Equations

y = -3x - 5
Domain: (-∞,∞)
Range: (-∞,∞)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already solved this equation by substitution but I don't quite understand how the domain and the range are supposed to make sense. The domain of a sine function can't be higher than one or lower than negative one, right? Because sin2x + cos2x = 1, I don't believe that it's possible. Therefore, the domain of x cannot be (-∞,∞), and the domain of y cannot be (-∞,∞). Can someone explain to me how eliminating parameters is supposed to work?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have got the domain and the range of a function confused. The domain is typically the set of x-values over which the function is defined.

SteamKing said:
The domain is typically the set of x-values over which the function is defined.

Do you mean that the range of a sin(t) function is [-1,1], and the domain (the angle) is [0,2π)? I still don't understand how this range and domain are eliminated.

Last edited:
The value of a sine function can be smaller than zero, but you are right that it is bounded.
That makes the given domain for x questionable.

You have three different functions in this problem: x=f(t), y=g(t), and y=h(x), so when you talk about the domain and range, you need to specify which function you're considering. The problem is asking you to find the domain and range of h.

The domain of h is, as noted in the problem statement, all of the possible values x can take. That set happens to also be the range of f. You seem to have an idea of what this is, but [0,1] isn't correct. You might want to look at a plot of the sine function.

vela said:
You seem to have an idea of what this is, but [0,1] isn't correct

It's [-1,1], isn't it? If that's the case, why isn't the range of y [-2,-8]?

Why do you think it isn't?

It's what the online problem said, that's why.

Maybe it made a mistake?

Last edited:
Sounds like it, or it wants the answer in a different form than the way you entered it.

Okay, thanks.

Eclair_de_XII said:
It's [-1,1], isn't it? If that's the case, why isn't the range of y [-2,-8]?
When you use the interval notation, [a, b], b has to be to the right of a on the number line.

The interval, [-2, -8], is improper.

Last edited:
Likes vela
Good point. I didn't even notice that.

FAQ: I don't understand how parameters are eliminated

What are parameters in scientific research?

Parameters are variables or factors that are intentionally controlled or measured in a scientific experiment. They are used to determine the relationship between different variables and their impact on the outcome of the experiment.

How are parameters eliminated in scientific research?

Parameters can be eliminated through various methods such as randomization, blinding, and controlling for confounding variables. These methods help to reduce the influence of extraneous factors and ensure that the results of the experiment are due to the manipulated variables.

Why is it important to eliminate parameters in scientific research?

Eliminating parameters is crucial in ensuring the validity and reliability of scientific research. By controlling for variables that could potentially impact the results, researchers can draw more accurate conclusions and make more confident claims about their findings.

What are the consequences of not eliminating parameters in scientific research?

If parameters are not eliminated, the results of the experiment may be influenced by factors other than the manipulated variables, leading to inaccurate or unreliable conclusions. This can hinder the progress of scientific knowledge and potentially lead to incorrect assumptions or theories.

Are all parameters eliminated in scientific research?

No, not all parameters can be eliminated in scientific research. Some variables may be difficult or impossible to control, and in these cases, researchers must acknowledge and account for their potential impact on the results. However, researchers strive to eliminate as many parameters as possible to ensure the validity of their findings.