I don't understand logical variables in fortran

In summary, the code uses a logical variable "sorted" to keep track of whether the array is sorted or not. It is initially false, and if any swaps need to be made during a pass through the array, it is set to false. Once a pass is complete without any swaps, it remains true and the loop finishes.
chemengstuden
I found the following program in a textbook and I don't understand how logical variables are used for the sorting function. I understand that variables is supposed to tell the program to keep functioning until the sorting is complete, I just don't understand the specifics. The logical variable "sorted" starts off false what does that mean exactly, and what happens to it in the do while loop.

IMPLICIT NONE
INTEGER, PARAMETER :: N = 100 ! size of list
REAL, DIMENSION(N) :: List ! list to be sorted
INTEGER I ! counter
REAL R ! random number

DO I = 1, N
CALL Random_Number( R )
List(I) = INT( N * R + 1 ) ! random integers in range
END DO

PRINT 10, List ! print unsorted list
10 FORMAT( 13F6.0 )

CALL Bubble_Sort( List ) ! sort

PRINT 10, List ! print sorted list

CONTAINS
SUBROUTINE Bubble_Sort( X )
REAL, DIMENSION(:), INTENT(INOUT) :: X ! list
INTEGER :: Num ! size of list
REAL Temp ! temp for swo
INTEGER J, K ! counters
LOGICAL Sorted ! flag to detect when sorted

Num = SIZE(X)
Sorted = .FALSE. ! initially unsorted
K = 0 ! count the passes

DO WHILE (.NOT. Sorted)
Sorted = .TRUE. ! they could be sorted
K = K + 1 ! another pass
DO J = 1, Num-K ! fewer tests on each pass
IF (X(J) > X(J+1)) THEN ! are they in order?
Temp = X(J) ! no ...
X(J) = X(J+1)
X(J+1) = Temp
Sorted = .FALSE. ! a swop was made
END IF
END DO
END DO

END SUBROUTINE
END

Physics news on Phys.org
SORTED starts out FALSE causing the while loop to execute during the first pass.

In the loop itself it supposes the data may already be sorted by setting SORTED = TRUE.
Then as it passes through the loop it checks whether it needs to re-arrange anything. If it does, then it sets SORTED = FALSE. This causes the loop to execute again. This continues until the loop doesn't need to swap anything so it doesn't set SORTED = FALSE on that pass which causes the while loop to finish.

In addition to what LCKurtz already said, a DO WHILE loop such as this:

DO WHILE (<boolean expression>)
END DO

executes the statements in the loop body if <boolean expression> evaluates to true.

If SORTED is false, then the expression .NOT. SORTED evaluates to TRUE, so the loop begins an iteration, and SORTED is set to TRUE. If it turns out that X(J) > X(J + 1), then SORTED gets reset to FALSE. On the other hand, if no swaps need to be made in a complete pass through the array, then SORTED doesn't get reset to FALSE (i.e., is still TRUE). This means that when control passes back up to the WHILE loop, .NOT SORTED is FALSE, and the loop does not execute.

Related to I don't understand logical variables in fortran

1. What are logical variables in Fortran?

Logical variables in Fortran are data types that can hold only two values: .TRUE. or .FALSE. They are often used to represent boolean values and are commonly used in logical expressions for conditional statements.

2. How do I declare a logical variable in Fortran?

To declare a logical variable in Fortran, you can use the LOGICAL keyword followed by the variable name. For example: LOGICAL :: is_valid will declare a logical variable named is_valid.

3. How do I assign a value to a logical variable in Fortran?

To assign a value to a logical variable in Fortran, you can use the = assignment operator. For example: is_valid = .TRUE. will assign the value of .TRUE. to the is_valid variable.

4. How do I use logical variables in conditional statements in Fortran?

Logical variables can be used in IF, ELSE IF, and DO WHILE statements in Fortran. They can also be used in LOGICAL expressions with logical operators such as .AND., .OR., and .NOT..

5. Can I use logical variables in mathematical operations in Fortran?

No, logical variables cannot be used in mathematical operations in Fortran. They are strictly limited to boolean values and cannot be converted to numerical values. If you need to perform mathematical operations, you can use INTEGER or REAL data types instead.