I don't understand why velocity is positive here?

In summary, the problem involves a horse galloping a certain distance away from its trainer and then returning halfway in a given time. The task is to calculate the average velocity using the equation displacement/time elapsed. The displacement is determined by subtracting the initial position from the final position, which in this case is 116m - 58m. The solutions manual may have used the equation 116m/14.0s - 58m/4.8s, which simplifies to 116m - 58m/18.8s. However, the initial position (xi) should be zero, not 116m, as the horse is starting from its original position each time.
Frankenstein19

Homework Statement

It says that a horse gallops 116m away from its trainer in 14.0s and then abruptly turns and gallops halfway back in 4.8s.

I need to calculate average velocity . displacement/ time elapsed. displacement is xf-xi.

Homework Equations

avg velocity= displacement/ time elapsed

displacement = xf-xi

The Attempt at a Solution

Shouldn't it be (58-116)/18.8? the solutions manual says its 116-58/18.8...why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Frankenstein19 said:

Homework Statement

It says that a horse gallops 116m away from its trainer in 14.0s and then abruptly turns and gallops halfway back in 4.8s.

I need to calculate average velocity . displacement/ time elapsed. displacement is xf-xi.

Homework Equations

avg velocity= displacement/ time elapsed

displacement = xf-xi

The Attempt at a Solution

Shouldn't it be (58-116)/18.8? the solutions manual says its 116-58/18.8...why?

Nevermind, it's a dumb question I got it. xi does not equal to 116, it's equal to zero.

Related to I don't understand why velocity is positive here?

1. Why is velocity positive instead of negative?

In physics, velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction. Positive velocity indicates that an object is moving in the positive direction, while negative velocity indicates movement in the negative direction.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

While velocity and speed are often used interchangeably in everyday language, they have different meanings in physics. Speed is a scalar quantity that only measures how fast an object is moving, while velocity also takes into account the direction of motion.

3. What factors can affect the direction of velocity?

The direction of velocity can be affected by various factors, such as changes in acceleration, forces acting on the object, and changes in the angle of motion. For example, if an object is moving in a straight line and experiences a change in acceleration, its velocity will also change in direction.

4. Can velocity be negative in certain situations?

Yes, velocity can be negative in certain situations. For example, if an object is moving in the negative direction with a speed of 5 m/s, its velocity would be represented as -5 m/s. Negative velocity does not necessarily mean that an object is slowing down, it simply indicates the direction of motion.

5. How can I calculate the velocity of an object?

To calculate velocity, you would need to know the object's displacement (change in position) and the time it took to cover that distance. The formula for velocity is v = ∆x/∆t, where v is velocity, ∆x is displacement, and ∆t is time. Make sure to include the units in your calculations to get the correct velocity unit (ex: m/s).