I finding the limits of trig functions

In summary, the limits of trigonometric functions depend on the specific function and input value. The sine and cosine functions have a limit of 1 or -1, while the tangent and cotangent functions have a limit of infinity or negative infinity. To find the limit of a trig function, properties of limits and algebraic manipulation can be used, as well as visualizing the function or using L'Hopital's rule for indeterminate forms. Left-hand and right-hand limits differ in the direction of approaching the input value. Special cases may arise when finding the limit of a trig function, such as using algebraic manipulation or accounting for discontinuities.
Oomair

Homework Statement

lim cos(beta sign)-1/sin(beta)
Beta-0

2. lim sin^2 3t/t^2
t-0

for the first one i tried to use the quotient formula to get the derivative, but still I am not sure i did it correctly and for the second problem, i have no idea what to do

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
in a way this might be cheating (depending on how your teacher wants you to solve the problem), but have u tried l'hopital's rule?

for the second one you can try this: expand Sin^2 (3t) as a power series... then you will find that the first term is proportional to t^2 and after that the answer is obvious

Oomair said:

Homework Statement

lim cos(beta sign)-1/sin(beta)
Beta-0
for the first one i tried to use the quotient formula to get the derivative, but still I am not sure i did it correctly

What do you mean by Quotient Formula? =.="
Quotient Formula is used for taking the derivative of an expression, but, in this problem, you are asked to find the limit of an expression.

Can you show us what you did?

2. lim sin^2 3t/t^2
t-0

Do you know this limit:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1[/tex]?

When seeing an expression with sin(x) over x, or something like that, you should think about using this well-known limit right away. So, you can re-arrange the expression a bit, like this:

[tex]\lim_{t \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin ^ 2 (3t)}{t ^ 2} = \lim_{t \rightarrow 0} \frac{9 \sin ^ 2 (3t)}{(3t) ^ 2} = ...[/tex]

Can you go from here? :)

^yep that's what i was looking for, but why did u multiply a 9 instead of a 3?

Because in the denominator, he also multiplied with 9, but wrote it as 9 = 3^2, the denominator must be exactly the same as the argument of the sinus.

Related to I finding the limits of trig functions

1. What are the limits of trig functions?

The limits of trigonometric functions depend on the specific function and the value of the input. However, in general, the sine and cosine functions have a limit of 1 as the input approaches infinity, and -1 as the input approaches negative infinity. The tangent and cotangent functions have a limit of positive or negative infinity as the input approaches certain values, such as pi/2 or -pi/2.

2. How do you find the limit of a trig function?

To find the limit of a trigonometric function, you can use the properties of limits and algebraic manipulation. For example, you can rewrite the trig function in terms of other trigonometric functions or use trigonometric identities. You can also use a graphing calculator or online tool to visualize the function and estimate the limit.

3. What is the difference between a left-hand limit and a right-hand limit?

A left-hand limit is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches from the left side, while a right-hand limit is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches from the right side. In other words, a left-hand limit is the limit as x approaches a from values less than a, while a right-hand limit is the limit as x approaches a from values greater than a.

4. Can you use L'Hopital's rule to find the limit of a trig function?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be used to find the limit of a trigonometric function, as long as the function is in an indeterminate form (such as 0/0 or infinity/infinity). However, it may not always be the most efficient or accurate method for finding the limit, and other techniques may be more appropriate.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the limit of a trig function?

Yes, there are a few special cases when finding the limit of a trigonometric function. For example, if the function contains a variable in both the numerator and denominator, you may need to use algebraic manipulation or L'Hopital's rule. Additionally, if the function has a discontinuity at the point you are trying to find the limit, the limit may not exist or may need to be evaluated separately from the surrounding points.

Back