I from someone who has recently taken A-Level physics

In summary, the conversation involves a PhD student who is applying for a fellowship that requires writing a "Lay Report" that can be understood by someone who recently took physics at A-level. The student does not know anyone who fits this criteria and is asking for help on a forum. They are looking for feedback on the report, including whether it is too advanced or not, and are willing to post the report later if there are people willing to help. Another person in the conversation mentions that they recently completed A-level physics and may be able to offer assistance.
jenga42
I wasn't quite sure where to put this - hopefully it's in the right place!

I am a PhD student and am applying for a fellowship which includes writing a "Lay Report".

This report has to be understood by someone who has recently taken physics at A-level (UK) ... the trouble is, I don't know anyone like this (or at least no-one who has done it recently enough to remember what they learnt!)

So, I thought I'd try asking for help on here... would anyone be willing to read my report and give me feedback? - I'd appreciate knowing if I've aimed it too high/too low and whether I've put in the odd word that's too advanced. Any other constructive criticism would be great too.

I'll post it a bit later - after I know if anyone will actually read it, so please reply if you are willing to help.

Thanks,

Jenga

Physics news on Phys.org
I did A-level physics last year (finished in July). Now I'm doing physics at university, so some knowledge of the topics I studied at A level has been retained.

If you think I could help you, contact me or post a link to your report on here.

I am happy to help you with your Lay Report. It is important to make scientific concepts accessible and understandable to a wider audience, and I commend you for taking on this task. I am willing to read your report and provide feedback to ensure that it meets the level of understanding of someone who has recently taken A-Level physics. I am also open to discussing any questions or concerns you may have about the content. Please do post your report, and I will be happy to assist you in any way I can. Best of luck with your fellowship application!

Related to I from someone who has recently taken A-Level physics

1. What concepts are the most important to understand in A-Level physics?

The most important concepts in A-Level physics include mechanics, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, thermal physics, and nuclear physics. These concepts form the foundation of many other topics in physics and are essential for understanding the world around us.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in A-Level physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in A-Level physics, it is important to practice regularly and work through a variety of problems. Additionally, it can be helpful to break down problems into smaller, more manageable steps and to seek help from teachers or peers when needed.

3. What are some common misconceptions in A-Level physics?

Some common misconceptions in A-Level physics include the belief that objects in motion need a continuous force to keep moving, that heat and temperature are the same thing, and that all objects fall to the ground with the same acceleration regardless of their mass. It is important to clarify and correct these misconceptions in order to fully understand key concepts in physics.

4. How can I prepare for A-Level physics exams?

To prepare for A-Level physics exams, it is important to review class notes and materials regularly, complete practice problems and past exam papers, and seek help from teachers or tutors when needed. It can also be helpful to form study groups with peers and to use visual aids or mnemonic devices to remember key concepts.

5. What career options are available for those who study A-Level physics?

Studying A-Level physics can open up a variety of career options, including engineering, research and development, teaching, medicine, and many others. The analytical and problem-solving skills developed in A-Level physics are highly valued in many industries and can lead to diverse and rewarding careers.