I get a close error/remainder to this series, but it's wrong why?

• Thread starter s3a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the Taylor series for f(x) = ln(sec(x)) at a = 0 is ##Σ_{n=0}^{∞} c_n x^n##. The coefficients of the series can be found using Wolfram Alpha, and the error in approximating ln(sec(-0.1)) by its fourth-degree Taylor polynomial at a = 0 is 2.22899019757457996644E-8.
s3a

Homework Statement

The Taylor series for f(x) = ln(sec(x)) at a = 0 is ##Σ_{n=0}^{∞} c_n x^n##.

(a) Find the first few coefficients. (I don't need help for this part.)

(b) Find the exact error in approximating ln(sec(-0.1)) by its fourth-degree Taylor polynomial at a = 0.

Homework Equations

E(x) = f(x) - ##P_n (x)##, or in this case, E(-0.1) = f(-0.1) - ##P_4 (-0.1)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the cofficients of each term of the polynomial, but I don't feel it's necessary to show you how I did that, since you can just confirm that I'm right by looking here.:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=ln(sec(x))+maclaurin+polynomial

If I'm correct, for this problem, the error is the difference between the function and the 4th degree polynomial.:
E(-0.1) = f(-0.1) - ##P_4 (-0.1)## = ln(sec(-0.1)) – (1/2*0.1^2+1/12*0.1^4) = 2.22899019757457996644E-8 ≠ 2.22899018157481E-8

Notice how my answer (which is the one on the left-hand side) differs slightly from the correct answer (which is the one on the right-hand side) of the problem.

Where is this small disagreement in error/remainder values coming from?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement

The Taylor series for f(x) = ln(sec(x)) at a = 0 is ##Σ_{n=0}^{∞} c_n x^n##.

(a) Find the first few coefficients. (I don't need help for this part.)

(b) Find the exact error in approximating ln(sec(-0.1)) by its fourth-degree Taylor polynomial at a = 0.

Homework Equations

E(x) = f(x) - ##P_n (x)##, or in this case, E(-0.1) = f(-0.1) - ##P_4 (-0.1)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the cofficients of each term of the polynomial, but I don't feel it's necessary to show you how I did that, since you can just confirm that I'm right by looking here.:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=ln(sec(x))+maclaurin+polynomial

If I'm correct, for this problem, the error is the difference between the function and the 4th degree polynomial.:
E(-0.1) = f(-0.1) - ##P_4 (-0.1)## = ln(sec(-0.1)) – (1/2*0.1^2+1/12*0.1^4) = 2.22899019757457996644E-8 ≠ 2.22899018157481E-8

Notice how my answer (which is the one on the left-hand side) differs slightly from the correct answer (which is the one on the right-hand side) of the problem.

Where is this small disagreement in error/remainder values coming from?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Who ever generated that 'correct' answer probably used a floating point calculator that was only accurate to 16 decimal places. There's no real reason to list that many decimal places. Especially when the last 12 or so aren't even correct.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Who ever generated that 'correct' answer probably used a floating point calculator that was only accurate to 16 decimal places. There's no real reason to list that many decimal places. Especially when the last 12 or so aren't even correct.
Okay, so ln(sec(-0.1)) – (1/2*0.1^2+1/12*0.1^4) is the correct answer, right?

Also, I have to consider only up to, and including, n=4 and not n=5, right? I ask since the n=5 case yields 0, so I just want to make sure that I understand the procedure correctly too, and it's not just a coincidence that I get the correct answer (because of the n=5 case being 0, in this case).

Assuming everything is fine concerning what I said above, could you please tell me why one would use Lagrange's remainder formula instead of just computing ##E(x) = f(x) – P_n(x)## (which seems easier and yields and accurate answer)?

We have
0.1->2.22899019757457996644E-8
0.0999999998804874->2.22899018157481E-8

The second answer results from a less accurate calculation.
To see exactly how that happens we would need to know more about how each calculation was performed.

Likes 1 person
s3a said:
...why one would use Lagrange's remainder formula instead of just computing ##E(x) = f(x) – P_n(x)## (which seems easier and yields and accurate answer)?

Lagrange's remainder formula can be used when we cannot calculate f(x).
We use the Maclaurin polynomial because f is expensive or impossible to compute. If we compute f(x) to high accuracy we might not even need to use the Maclaurin polynomial.

Likes 1 person
Thanks guys! :)

FAQ: I get a close error/remainder to this series, but it's wrong why?

1. Why am I getting a close error or remainder to this series?

This could be due to a variety of reasons, such as rounding errors, limitations in the precision of the calculation method, or incorrect input data. It is important to carefully check your calculations and data to identify the source of the error.

2. How can I determine if my series is wrong?

One way to check if your series is wrong is to compare it to known values or results from other sources. You can also try adjusting the precision of your calculations or double-checking your input data to see if that resolves the discrepancy.

3. What are some common mistakes that lead to incorrect series results?

Some common mistakes include using incorrect formulas, inputting incorrect data, or making rounding errors. It is important to thoroughly review your calculations and data to identify any potential errors.

4. Can using a different calculation method help me get a more accurate series result?

Yes, using a different calculation method may help you get a more accurate result. Some methods may have limitations or be better suited for certain types of series, so it is worth exploring different options to find the most accurate result.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help me troubleshoot my series error?

Yes, there are several online calculators and software programs that can help you troubleshoot your series error. These tools can provide more precision and may also have built-in error-checking capabilities to help identify and resolve any issues with your series calculation.