I get emails showing posts but posts are not there

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary: Yep. I do this occasionally. Get partway through answering a question when I realize it's all wrong or will just make things more confusing.I confess, I do a final proof after I've submitted.It's a terrible waste of system resources (the whole point of a preview feature is to edit your posts without eating server time) but I've learned through tears and heartbreak to always save my work as soon as possible.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Several times now, in just a few weeks, I've gotten emails showing a detailed response post and then when I go to the thread, that post is not there. So I got back later and it's STILL not there. It never shows up.

Is there an explanation for how/why this is happening?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The only reasonable explanations are: a) The person who posted it deleted it. b) A moderator deleted it.

People delete their own posts because they realize they didn't like what they said. Perhaps they realized that they had misunderstood the question, or that they had made a mistake and don't have time to think about how to fix it right away.

Mentors delete posts that break forum rules.

Don't bother waiting for it to show up. If it's not there when you come here, it's not ever going to show up. It was posted a moment before you got the email, and got deleted later.

Fredrik said:
People delete their own posts because they realize they didn't like what they said. Perhaps they realized that they had misunderstood the question, or that they had made a mistake and don't have time to think about how to fix it right away.
Yep. I do this occasionally. Get partway through answering a question when I realize it's all wrong or will just make things more confusing.

Well, I realize that folks may delete their own posts and that moderators may delete some posts, but Dave, are you saying that the email is sent even if they don't hit "submit" on their answer? THAT would definitely explain it.

The ones I am talking about clearly did not break any forum rules, but I can easily see how the poster may have written them then read through the thread again and realized that they did NOT want to post that after all.

If an email goes out when you do NOT "submit" a response (just type it in then quit the thread instead of hitting submit) then I'm going to make sure I erase such posts (when I do that myslef, which I do) before I leave the thread.

phinds said:
...Dave, are you saying that the email is sent even if they don't hit "submit" on their answer?
No.

phinds said:
The ones I am talking about clearly did not break any forum rules, but I can easily see how the poster may have written them then read through the thread again and realized that they did NOT want to post that after all.

If an email goes out when you do NOT "submit" a response (just type it in then quit the thread instead of hitting submit) then I'm going to make sure I erase such posts (when I do that myslef, which I do) before I leave the thread.
I confess, I do a final proof after I've submitted.

It's a terrible waste of system resources (the whole point of a preview feature is to edit your posts without eating server time) but I've learned through tears and heartbreak to always save my work as soon as possible.

This is normally common sense in any word or other editing program, but it works just as well in online editing fields. Way too many times I've typed a long response, hit preview and the page just never comes back. Too bad, so sad. So it is unconscious now to Ctrl-C then submit.

Related to I get emails showing posts but posts are not there

1. Why am I receiving emails showing posts but when I click on them, the posts are not there?

There could be a few reasons for this. It's possible that the posts were deleted or removed before you had a chance to click on them. It's also possible that there is a lag in the system and the emails are being sent out before the posts are fully published. Another possibility is that there is a technical issue with your email or the platform where the posts are being shared.

2. Is there a way to retrieve the posts from the emails?

Unfortunately, if the posts have been deleted or removed, there is no way to retrieve them from the emails. If the issue is a technical one, you may be able to access the posts by refreshing the page or clearing your browser's cache.

3. Why am I still receiving emails for posts that have already been viewed?

If you are receiving emails for posts that you have already viewed, it could be due to a delay in the system. It's possible that the emails were sent out before you had a chance to view the posts. It could also be a technical issue with your email or the platform.

4. Can I adjust my email settings to stop receiving emails for posts?

Yes, most platforms have settings that allow you to adjust your email preferences. You can usually opt out of receiving emails for new posts or adjust the frequency of the emails. Check the settings or contact the platform's support team for assistance.

5. Why do I receive emails for posts that I am not subscribed to?

There could be a few reasons for this. It's possible that you accidentally clicked on a post or followed a user, which resulted in receiving emails for their posts. It's also possible that the platform's algorithm is suggesting posts for you based on your activity or interests. If you do not wish to receive these emails, you can usually adjust your settings or unsubscribe from the user's profile.