I have a few problems dealing with work and kinetic energy

In summary, the first conversation discusses the calculation of total work done by the force of gravity on a 0.267 kg ball that is thrown straight up from a height of 1.81 m with an initial vertical speed of 8.00 m/s. The second conversation involves finding the average power needed for a car with mass 600.0 kg to reach a speed of 20.5 m/s at the top of a 33.0 m high hill in 18.3 s, neglecting frictional losses. The third conversation asks for the magnitude of the average force exerted on a 96.0 kg diver during his fall from rest into a swimming pool from a height of 3.70 m in
shabut NAA
1. A 0.267 kg ball is thrown straight up from 1.81 m above the ground. Its initial vertical speed is 8.00 m/s. A short time later, it hits the ground. Calculate the total work done by the force of gravity during that time.

I know that I will probably need to use the PEg=KE formula, but I am very lost as to how to set this problem up and any help would be appreciated.

__
2.A car (m = 600.0 kg) accelerates uniformly from rest up an inclined road which rises uniformly, to a height, h = 33.0 m. Find the average power the engine must deliver to reach a speed of 20.5 m/s at the top of the hill in 18.3 s(NEGLECT frictional losses: air and rolling, ...)

W=KEf-KEi

W=1/2mv^2-1/2mv^2
W=1/2(600)(205)-0
mgh=600(9.8)(33)
W=6150+194040
W=200190/18.3
W=10939.34
I feel like I'm very close to solving this problem but something didn't turn out right..

____

3. A 96.0 kg diver falls from rest into a swimming pool from a height of 3.70 m. It takes 1.54 s for the diver to stop after entering the water. Find the magnitude of the average force exerted on the diver during that time.

I am pretty sure I should start out with PEg=KE but am not sure where to go from there.

Help on any of these problems would be VERY MUCH appreciated! Thanks guys and this seems like a great physics forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
1) This problem is relatively easy if you use W=F(d). Find the displacement of the ball using basic kinematics. Remember your signs!

3) There are several ways of doing this problem, but I would recommend that you look at it conceptually i.e gravity exerts a constant force of mg on the diver on his downard path, while after he is in the water... the water exerts a force that brings him from Vo(the velocity at which he enters the water) to Vf(rest) in the time given... Now find the avg force exerted

Last edited:
Thanks, I got the 3rd one right now! 1st I don't really understand how I can find the F for W=Fd. I could figure it out if they gave me time but they didn't..so how can I go about finding the F?

shabut NAA said:
Thanks, I got the 3rd one right now! 1st I don't really understand how I can find the F for W=Fd. I could figure it out if they gave me time but they didn't..so how can I go about finding the F?

The question asks about the gravitational force. F = the gravitational force =...

Related to I have a few problems dealing with work and kinetic energy

1. What is work and kinetic energy?

Work and kinetic energy are two fundamental concepts in physics. Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object is moved in the direction of the force. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How are work and kinetic energy related?

Work and kinetic energy are directly related. The work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This means that when work is done on an object, its kinetic energy increases, and when work is done by an object, its kinetic energy decreases.

3. What are some real-life examples of work and kinetic energy?

A common real-life example of work and kinetic energy is a person pushing a cart. The person applies a force to the cart, and the cart moves a certain distance, resulting in work being done. As the cart moves, it also gains kinetic energy, which allows it to continue moving.

4. How can I calculate work and kinetic energy?

To calculate work, you can use the formula W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. To calculate kinetic energy, you can use the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

5. What are some applications of work and kinetic energy in technology?

Work and kinetic energy have various applications in technology. For example, they are essential in the design and functioning of machines, such as cars and elevators. They are also crucial in the study of motion and energy conservation in fields such as engineering and mechanics.