I have a question about fusion

• Thread starter bill nye scienceguy!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fusion
In summary, the energy released when one mole of deuterium undergoes complete fusion is 1.7 X 10^12 Joules. This can be calculated by multiplying the mass difference between deuterium and helium by Avagadro's number and converting to Joules. However, the fusion process of two deuterium nuclei into an alpha particle is not possible due to the laws of physics governing energy and momentum conservation. The most common fusion processes are deuterium and tritium combining to form helium and a neutron, or two deuterium nuclei producing a tritium and proton, both releasing a significant amount of energy.
bill nye scienceguy!
So here it is:

What is the energy released when one mole of deterium(?) undergoes complete fusion? Oh, here's the equation:

H + H = He

i don't know how to post but its 2,1 for both hydrogen isotopes and then 4,2 for the helium duh i know but i don't want confusion.

cheers ro><ors!

http://billnye.ytmnd.com/

Physics news on Phys.org
Fusion can't go that way because there is nowhere for the energy to go.
The most common fusion process is
[itex]^2 H + ^3 H \rightarrow ^4 He + n.[/itex]
That is deutron + tritium --> helium + neutron.
If you want, I can calculate one mole of d on one mole of t.

U mean 2 nuclei of deuterium can't fuse into an alpha particle...? What laws of physics forbid that?

Daniel.

Billnye: The mass difference between d+t and He + n is 17.59 MeV.
Multiplying this by Avagadro's number (for one mole), and converting to Joules,
I get (Check my arithmetic.) 1.7 X 10^12 Joules released.
I guess that would be written as 1.7 tJ. That's more than I make in a year.

dextercioby: You can't conserve both energy and momentum in d+d--> He.

d + d --> 3He + n + 3.25 MeV (~50%)

d + d --> t + p + 4.0 MeV (~50%)

Related to I have a question about fusion

1. What is fusion?

Fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. This process releases a large amount of energy, which is the same process that powers the sun and other stars.

2. How is fusion different from fission?

Fusion involves combining two atomic nuclei, while fission involves splitting a single atomic nucleus into smaller fragments. Fusion releases a greater amount of energy and produces less radioactive waste compared to fission.

3. Can fusion be used as a source of energy?

Yes, fusion has the potential to be a clean and virtually limitless source of energy. However, scientists are still working on overcoming technical challenges in order to make fusion a viable energy source.

4. What are the potential benefits of fusion?

Fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy, with a minimal amount of radioactive waste. It could also potentially reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and mitigate the effects of climate change.

5. What are the challenges in achieving fusion?

One of the main challenges in achieving fusion is creating the extreme conditions necessary for fusion to occur, such as high temperatures and pressures. Another challenge is finding a way to contain and control the incredibly hot plasma that is created during fusion reactions.