I Have A Question about FUSION

• Thread starter anias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fusion
In this case, it is 500 kJ/mol.Thus, the total energy produced is 2 kmol x 500 kJ/mol = 1000 kJ, which is equivalent to 5.0 x 10^5 kJ as calculated.In summary, the reaction of hydrogen and fluorine produces 500 kJ/mol of energy. In the given scenario, the reaction of 2.0 kg of hydrogen with 38 kg of fluorine to produce 2 kmol of hydrofluoric acid (HF) would result in the production of 5.0 x 10^5 kJ of energy, based on the heat of formation of 500 kJ/mol.
anias
I Have A Question about FUSION! Please Help!

I Have A Question about FUSION! Please Help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the reaction of H and F produces about 500 kj/mol of energy:

how much energy is produced by the reaction of 2.0kg of H with 38 kg of F to produce 2 kmol of HF?

i know the answer is 5.0x 10 to the exponent 5 kJ... but I'm not sure why...

PLEASE HELP!
thanks for your time =D

Physics news on Phys.org
Heat of Formation

This is a problem about the heat of formation, rather than fusion. In the context of chemistry, fusion usually refers to liquid to solid phase change.

Heat of fusion is the energy required for melting solids to liquids.

http://wine1.sb.fsu.edu/chm1045/notes/Energy/HeatForm/Energy05.htm

Now for the problem, which states heat of formation of HF is 500 kJ/mol.

The reaction is H2 + F2 -> 2 HF + Q, where Q = 500 KJ/mol, is the heat of formation.

You have 1 kmol of H2 and 1 kmol of F2, which yields 2 kmol of HF.

To solve the problem, one needs to know the basis of the heat of formation, i.e. the energy per mole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about FUSION. It seems like you are asking about the energy produced by the reaction of hydrogen and fluorine to form hydrogen fluoride (HF). This is a type of fusion reaction, where two smaller atoms combine to form a larger atom, releasing energy in the process.

To calculate the energy produced in this reaction, we need to use the equation E = mc^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. In this case, we are looking for the energy produced, so E is our unknown. The mass is given in kilograms, so we need to convert it to grams (1 kg = 1000 g). We also know that the speed of light is approximately 3.0 x 10^8 meters per second.

Plugging in these values, we get:

E = (2.0 kg + 38 kg) x (3.0 x 10^8 m/s)^2

E = 2.0 x 10^3 g x (9.0 x 10^16 m^2/s^2)

E = 1.8 x 10^20 g x m^2/s^2

Now, we need to convert this unit to joules (J), which is the standard unit for energy. We can do this by multiplying by the conversion factor 1 J = 1 kg x m^2/s^2.

E = 1.8 x 10^20 g x m^2/s^2 x (1 J/1 kg x m^2/s^2)

E = 1.8 x 10^20 J

However, this is the total energy produced by the reaction of 40 kg of hydrogen and fluorine. To find the energy produced by 2 kmol of HF, we need to divide this value by the number of moles of HF produced. 2 kmol is equal to 2 x 10^3 moles.

E = 1.8 x 10^20 J / (2 x 10^3 moles)

E = 9 x 10^16 J/mol

Now, to find the energy produced by the reaction of 2.0 kg of H with 38 kg of F to produce 2 kmol of HF, we need to multiply this value by 2 kmol.

E =

Related to I Have A Question about FUSION

1. What is fusion?

Fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy. This process is the same one that powers the sun and other stars.

2. How does fusion work?

Fusion occurs when two atomic nuclei overcome their mutual electrostatic repulsion and merge into one nucleus. This requires extremely high temperatures and pressures, which can only be achieved through the use of powerful particle accelerators or in the extreme conditions found in stars.

3. What are the potential applications of fusion?

Fusion has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy. It could also be used to produce medical isotopes for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes, as well as to power spacecraft for long-distance missions.

4. What are the challenges in achieving controlled fusion reactions?

The main challenges in achieving controlled fusion reactions include the high temperatures and pressures needed to initiate fusion, the confinement of the extremely hot plasma, and the management of the intense energy released during the process.

5. How close are we to achieving practical fusion energy?

Scientists and engineers have made significant progress in understanding and controlling fusion reactions. However, there are still many technological and engineering challenges that need to be overcome before practical fusion energy can be achieved. Estimates vary, but it is generally believed that it could take several more decades before fusion energy becomes a viable option.