I have a titration question dealing with biochemistry

In summary: When the solution is 1/4 titrated, there will be a 4 fold change in the concentration of the buffer and acid. Apply this relationship to your problem.In summary, you are titrating a 75 mL volume of 33 mM lactate buffer (pKa 3.86) with 1.3 M HCl and adding 1 mL of the HCl. The concept of deprotonated and fully protonated refers to the presence or absence of H+ ions in the buffer solution. To solve this problem, you will need to calculate the moles of buffer and H+ ions, use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, and consider the relationship between buffer pH and concentration during titration.
Workout

Homework Statement

You are titrating a 75 mL volume of 33 mM lactate buffer (pKa 3.86) with 1.3 M HCl (starting fully deprotonated). What is the pH after you have added 1 mL of the HCl? Give 2 decimal places

Homework Equations

pH = pKa + log[A-/HA]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand the concept of deprotonated and fully protonated. Could someone explain the two? I also have no idea where to even start with this question...

Physics news on Phys.org
Deprotonated buffer - No H+ ions present in the buffer solution, meaning the buffer can no longer digest the base.

Protonation - Addition of H+.

If you add H+ in the buffer, you are protonating it, thus you are decreasing the pH of the buffer. If you want to attempt the question, ask yourself the following questions:-

1. How many moles of buffer I've been given? How much moles of H+ I am adding?

2. How much H+ can 1 mole of lactate buffer can assimilate?

3. Can I use the relevant equation?

You are not "protonating a buffer". You are protonating the conjugate base. So if there is only acid from (HLactate) in the solution, lactate is fully protonated. That will happen at low pH. If there is a mixture of HLactate and Lactate- - it is protonated only partially, that happens when the pH is relatively close to pKa. Finally, in high pH all lactate is present in Lactate- form and it is not protonated at all.

You can assume protonation is quantitative - all strong acid added reacts with Lactate- yielding HLactate. Use this information to calculate new concentrations of acid and conjugate form and plug them into the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.

Also compare this buffer pH change problem.

FAQ: I have a titration question dealing with biochemistry

1. What is titration and why is it important in biochemistry?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. In biochemistry, it is important because it allows scientists to accurately measure the concentration of various compounds in biological samples. This information is crucial in understanding the chemical reactions and processes that occur in living organisms.

2. How is titration performed in biochemistry?

In biochemistry, titration is typically performed by adding a known volume of a solution with a known concentration (called the titrant) to a sample of the substance being analyzed. The titrant is gradually added until a chemical reaction occurs, resulting in a color change or other measurable change. The point at which the reaction is complete is called the endpoint, and it can be used to calculate the concentration of the substance in the sample.

3. What are the different types of titration used in biochemistry?

Some common types of titration used in biochemistry include acid-base titration, redox titration, and complexometric titration. Each of these techniques involves a specific chemical reaction or indicator to determine the endpoint of the titration. The type of titration used will depend on the specific compounds being analyzed and the information needed.

4. What are some common sources of error in titration experiments?

Some potential sources of error in titration experiments include inaccurate measurement of volumes, contamination of solutions, and improper handling of equipment. It is important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and use proper laboratory techniques to minimize these sources of error.

5. How is titration used in biochemistry research?

In biochemistry research, titration is used to study the behavior of various compounds and their interactions in biological systems. It can also be used to measure the effectiveness of drugs or other treatments in altering the levels of certain substances in the body. Titration is a valuable tool in understanding the complex processes that occur in living organisms and can provide important insights for further research and development.