I have always wondered if Photons are magnetic and if so are

However, photons themselves do not have a magnetic charge and are not affected by magnetic fields. Low frequency photons can experience changes in polarization due to the Earth's magnetic field, but their motion is not affected. Photon-photon scattering is possible, but has not been observed in vacuum. Higher energy interactions, such as pair production, can be affected by magnetic fields, but not at the levels found on Earth.
allybee
I have always wondered if Photons are magnetic and if so are they affected by the geomagnetic field around the earth

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Their motion is not affected, but I think their polarization can be, if I read my2cts link correctly.

Faraday rotation applies to light traveling through a medium, not through a vacuum.

There is photon-photon scattering, but at such an incredibly low rate that it has never been observed (in vacuum), even with powerful lasers and extremely sensitive detectors.

Pair production has been observed indirectly, but that needs much higher energies so interactions with the magnetic field of Earth don't work.

thank you for the response guys

Photons are the carriers of the electromagnetic force. Magnetism is the relativistic manifestation of the electric charge.

AgentSmith said:
Photons are the carriers of the electromagnetic force. Magnetism is the relativistic manifestation of the electric charge.

A photon is a quantized portion of an EM wave, which has both electric and magnetic components.

Related to I have always wondered if Photons are magnetic and if so are

1. Are Photons magnetic particles?

No, Photons are not magnetic particles. Photons are elementary particles that do not possess any electric charge or magnetic moment. They are the fundamental unit of light and carry energy and momentum.

2. Can Photons be affected by magnetic fields?

Yes, Photons can be affected by magnetic fields. Although they do not have their own magnetic field, they can be deflected or redirected by an external magnetic field due to their electric charge.

3. How do Photons interact with magnetic fields?

Photons interact with magnetic fields through the magnetic force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. This force is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between charged particles, including photons.

4. Is light considered to be magnetic?

No, light is not considered to be magnetic. Light, or electromagnetic radiation, is a combination of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation. However, it is not considered to be a magnetic particle.

5. Can a photon be used as a magnet?

No, a photon cannot be used as a magnet. As mentioned earlier, photons do not possess any magnetic moment or charge, so they cannot exhibit any magnetic properties. They are solely carriers of energy and momentum.