I Have an Exam Tomorrow and I so here are some question

• Thread starter RaidersFan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discusses various scenarios involving fluid mechanics and force calculations. The Pascal Principle is used to operate a dentist's chair and assumes a pressure of 13.5 kpa throughout the fluid. The force on each piston is calculated by multiplying the pressure by the area of the piston. The density of a gold nugget is determined by measuring its weight in air and water. The maximum velocity of water in a pipe is affected by changes in diameter. In a forced-air furnace duct, air moves at a speed of 4.7m/s and its velocity can be calculated by comparing the dimensions of two rectangular portions of the duct. Lastly, the coefficient of kinetic friction between two surfaces can be determined by knowing the applied force and the
RaidersFan
2. The pascal principle is used to operate a dentists chair. assume that the pressure everywhere in the fluid is 13.5 kpa. if the small cylinder(piston) has an area of 0.007m(squared) and the large cylinder(piston) has an area of 0.08m(squared) calculate the force on each cylinder.

3. a gold nugget weighs 1.23N in air. when suspended from a string and submerged in water its apparent weight (T) is 1.09N. calculate the density of the gold nuggett.

4.water enters a cylindrical pipe 3.5cm in diameter at a speed of 1.6m/s. if the pipes diameter is suddenly reduced to 2.1cm, what is the max velocity of the water moving through the smaller pipe?

5. air is pushed through a forced-air furnace duct at a speed of 4.7m/s. the duct is rectangular and measure 58cm by 23cm. how fast will air move through a smaller portion of the duct that is also rectangular and measures 35cm by 23cm.

6. a force of 19N[E] pushes a box of mass 13.2kg across a level floor at a constant speed. calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction (,U) between the two surfaces.

i know its a lot of work there so you can do all of them or just 1 or how every many you want to. I am just struggling on these questions and my exam is tomorrow and i really need some help so if you guys are able to help me out i would really appreciate it. thanks so much for doing this guys. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Raidersfan. However, please note that we cannot help you with textbook/homework questions, until you have first shown us your efforts: In future, please use all the sections of the homework posting template with which you were provided:

So, please post some thoughts on each question, and we'll be more than happy to help!

Hello there,

I am happy to help you with these questions. As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a logical and systematic mindset. Let's go through each question one by one and see if we can find the solutions together.

2. The Pascal principle states that pressure applied to a fluid is transmitted equally throughout the entire fluid. In this case, we have a dentist's chair that operates using this principle. We are given the pressure of the fluid, 13.5 kPa, and the areas of the small and large cylinders, 0.007m^2 and 0.08m^2, respectively. To calculate the force on each cylinder, we can use the formula F = P x A, where F is force, P is pressure, and A is area. So for the small cylinder, the force would be 13.5 kPa x 0.007m^2 = 0.0945 kN. For the large cylinder, the force would be 13.5 kPa x 0.08m^2 = 1.08 kN. I hope this helps!

3. To calculate the density of the gold nugget, we can use the formula D = m/V, where D is density, m is mass, and V is volume. We are given the weight of the nugget in air, 1.23N, and the apparent weight in water, 1.09N. The difference between these two weights is equal to the buoyant force, which is caused by the displacement of water by the nugget. So we can calculate the volume of the nugget by dividing the buoyant force (1.23N - 1.09N = 0.14N) by the density of water (1000 kg/m^3). This gives us a volume of 1.4 x 10^-4 m^3. Now, we can use the given mass of the nugget, 1.23N divided by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) to get a mass of 0.125 kg. Plugging these values into the density formula, we get a density of 880 kg/m^3 for the gold nugget.

4. This question involves the conservation of mass and the relationship between velocity and cross-sectional area. We can use the equation A1V1 = A2V2, where A1

FAQ: I Have an Exam Tomorrow and I so here are some question

1. How can I prepare for an exam when I only have one day left?

Preparing for an exam in just one day can be challenging, but it is not impossible. The key is to prioritize your studying by focusing on the most important and difficult topics first. Make a study schedule and stick to it, take breaks to avoid burnout, and practice active studying techniques like making flashcards or teaching the material to someone else.

2. I am feeling overwhelmed and stressed about my exam tomorrow. What can I do?

It is normal to feel stressed and overwhelmed before an exam, but it is important to manage these feelings in a healthy way. Take some time to relax and de-stress, whether it's through exercise, meditation, or talking to a friend. Make sure to get a good night's sleep and eat a healthy breakfast before your exam to help you stay calm and focused.

3. How do I know what material will be on the exam?

Your instructor or syllabus should have a clear outline of what topics will be covered on the exam. If you are still unsure, reach out to your classmates or instructor for clarification. It is also helpful to review your notes and any study guides or review materials provided by your instructor.

4. Should I pull an all-nighter to study for my exam?

No, pulling an all-nighter to study is not recommended. Lack of sleep can actually impair your memory and cognitive function, making it harder for you to do well on the exam. It is better to get a good night's sleep and wake up early to review the material again before the exam.

5. What should I bring with me to the exam tomorrow?

Make sure to bring any necessary materials such as pencils, pens, calculators, and a watch. It is also important to bring your student ID and any other materials or notes that your instructor allows you to use during the exam. Be sure to double check with your instructor beforehand to avoid any issues during the exam.