I heard a spin-top in a perfect vacuum would stay spinning

In summary, a top spinning in a perfect vacuum on Earth would stay spinning forever due to the lack of friction to slow it down. However, the presence of gravity does not affect the top's spin, but rather any friction from touching the ground would cause it to slow down. In order for the top to fall, it would need to interact with other particles or objects, not just due to the presence of gravity. The statement about moving at the speed of light making it unable to fall is also incorrect.
SciencePerson
Ok I heard that a very fast spinning top, in a perfect vacuum, on Earth, would stay spinning forever, and I suppose it would in the middle of the vacuum without falling, because spinning at lightspeed means it can't move 1 down, so if the speed in this top stays in it, then it could avoid falling and slowing~

Help :O

Physics news on Phys.org
SciencePerson said:
Ok I heard that a very fast spinning top, in a perfect vacuum, on Earth, would stay spinning forever, and I suppose it would in the middle of the vacuum without falling
A top floating in a perfect vacuum will indeed spin forever, because there's no friction or other force to slow it down. In fact, right now you're standing on of those tops: The Earth has been spinning on its axis for some billions of years now, and looks to be good for many more.

But...
because spinning at lightspeed means it can't move 1 down, so if the speed in this top stays in it, then it could avoid falling and slowing~
This makes no sense at all. Nothing spins at the speed of light.

Yes the Earth stays spinning, but, the top is in the field of gravity! It may slow down then from pull! And fall downwards...

SciencePerson said:
Yes the Earth stays spinning, but, the top is in the field of gravity! It may slow down then from pull! And fall downwards...

The mere presence of a gravitational field doesn't affect the spin of the top. However, if the top is touching the ground in any way, there will be some small amount of friction at the pivot point, and that friction will slow the top. If you were to put the top into orbit around the earth, it would still be in the Earth's gravitational field, but it could fall freely without every touching the ground and then there would be no friction to slow it (except that space is not quite a perfect vacuum).

Wait wait wai wa hate a moment :D...are you saying gravity won't affect it just because satellites don't fall, because those are different! They move left whhhille moving down! Like this - >^>^>^>. . .BUT the spinning top may go down by gravity, plus slow by the pull...unless you (somehow) [how?] know it won't.

That's not what Nugatory is saying. He's saying that a top in free fall (under the effect of gravity) won't slow down just because gravity is acting on it. It must touch something else in order to slow down. Your falling top would start to slow down when it entered the Earth's atmosphere and began to interact with the air.

So a planet stays spinning, and if it doesn't slow by any pull, then it wouldn't fall...wait......if the fast spin top is in the exact middle of a perfect vacuum on Earth, it stays spinning, and no fall, yet it does, and only it does for the fall...ArhhhrRR!...I'll think about this later, busy at the moment...

SciencePerson said:
So a planet stays spinning, and if it doesn't slow by any pull, then it wouldn't fall

SciencePerson said:
.if the fast spin top is in the exact middle of a perfect vacuum on Earth, it stays spinning, and no fall,

What do you mean by 'fall'? The top (and the planet) are still affected by gravity and are still pulled down. A top in a vacuum here on Earth would stay spinning a little longer than a top outside in the air, but not forever since friction from the ground still acts on the tip.

What I figured out is this:

If a spinning top in a perfect vacuum could avoid falling, it will stay spinning forever because the moving photons and therefore moving particles stay in it, but the reason it falls by gravity is because it gets photons OR space pull without being touched by atoms to take away the top's photons and so it also moves down, and may not fall if at lightspeed since no more room is left because the added photons or space pull by gravity don't affect the already-filled-spaces-photons in it~

If you want I can write this out clearer...

Last edited:
That's just utter nonsense. Thread locked.

FAQ: I heard a spin-top in a perfect vacuum would stay spinning

1. Is it true that a spin-top would keep spinning forever in a perfect vacuum?

No, it is not entirely true. In theory, a spin-top would continue spinning in a perfect vacuum due to the absence of air resistance. However, in reality, there are various factors such as imperfections in the top, friction with the surface, and the effects of gravity that would eventually cause the top to slow down and stop spinning.

2. What is the significance of a perfect vacuum in this scenario?

A perfect vacuum is an environment with absolutely no air or gas particles. In this scenario, the absence of air resistance allows the top to spin without any external forces acting on it, making it seem like it is spinning forever.

3. Can any type of spin-top spin in a perfect vacuum?

Yes, any type of spin-top can spin in a perfect vacuum as long as it is perfectly balanced and has a smooth surface to spin on. However, the time it takes for the top to stop spinning may vary depending on the design and quality of the top.

4. What are the real-life applications of studying a spin-top in a perfect vacuum?

Studying the behavior of a spin-top in a perfect vacuum can help scientists better understand the principles of motion, energy, and friction. It can also have practical applications in fields such as aerospace engineering, where understanding the effects of a vacuum on spinning objects is crucial.

5. Can a spin-top spin forever in a vacuum chamber?

It is not possible for a spin-top to spin forever in a vacuum chamber. While the vacuum chamber may create a low-pressure environment, it is not a perfect vacuum. The chamber still contains some air particles that can cause air resistance and eventually slow down the spinning top.