I hope that helped.How to Find Energy Stored in a Parallel-Plate Capacitor?

In summary, the capacitor stores 28.4 microjoules of energy when it is initially charged and 13.9 microjoules when the separation between the plates is increased by 4.10 mm.
gunitsoldier9

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor has plates with an area of 410 cm^2 and an air-filled gap between the plates that is 2.00 mm thick. The capacitor is charged by a battery to 560 V and then is disconnected from the battery.
a.How much energy is stored in the capacitor?
b.The separation between the plates is now increased to 4.10 mm. How much energy is stored in the capacitor now?
c.How much work is required to increase the separation of the plates from 2.00 mm to 4.10 mm?

Homework Equations

C=(E0A/d)
U=1/2CV2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a but it keeps saying that part b is wrong when i do it the same way. I combined the first 2 eqns
U= 1/2(E0A/d)V2 for part A. Help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Post what you've done, then we can check it.

U= 1/2(E0A/d)V2=(1/2)(8.85*10-12*.041m/.002m)*5602=28.4 microjoules

Same thing for part b but with the new the new d
U= 1/2(E0A/d)V2=(1/2)(8.85*10-12*.041m/.0041m)*5602 = 13.9 microjoules but its wrong

I got what you got. Perhaps the answer key has a typo?

Maybe the answer in the back of the book was accidentally figured as "separation between the plates is now increased BY 4.10 mm" instead of "separation between the plates is now increased TO 4.10 mm".

Try computing 'U' with d = (0.002m + 0.0041m).

mplayer said:
Maybe the answer in the back of the book was accidentally figured as "separation between the plates is now increased BY 4.10 mm" instead of "separation between the plates is now increased TO 4.10 mm".

Try computing 'U' with d = (0.002m + 0.0041m).

Nope, no luck. Beginning to think there is a mistake with the problem

I was having the same problem, and I hope that you still need help with this. But for any people in the future who need help, please refer here: http://www.physics.miami.edu/~korotkova/PHY102_Lecture4_09.pdf" . Specifically on slide 8.

If for some reason that doesn't work, just read:

multiply answer (a) by the factor that your distance increased. For instance, if your distance doubled, multiply (a) by two. For part c, you simply take the difference of (b) and (a).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to I hope that helped.How to Find Energy Stored in a Parallel-Plate Capacitor?

What is a parallel plate capacitor?

A parallel plate capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two parallel conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as the dielectric. It is used to store electrical energy by creating an electric field between the two plates.

How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

A parallel plate capacitor works by storing opposite charges on the two plates, creating an electric field between them. The electric field allows the capacitor to store electrical energy, which can then be released when needed.

What factors affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by several factors, including the surface area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. Increasing the surface area or decreasing the distance between the plates will increase the capacitance, while using a higher dielectric constant material will also increase capacitance.

What are the applications of parallel plate capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors have a variety of applications in electronics, including in power supplies, filters, tuning circuits, and energy storage devices. They are also used in devices such as touch screens, microphones, and accelerometers.

How do parallel plate capacitors differ from other types of capacitors?

Parallel plate capacitors differ from other types of capacitors in their structure and design. They have two parallel plates, while other types may have different shapes and configurations. They also have the ability to store more energy due to their larger surface area.

Back