I LOVE this woman Mariska rules.

In summary, Mariska Hargitay, known for her role as a detective on Law and Order: SVU, received letters from victims of sexual abuse and started a foundation with her husband to help these victims in real life. She is also supporting efforts to address the root cause of sexual abuse.
turbo
Gold Member
I LOVE this woman! Mariska rules.

When she started portraying a detective on Law and Order, SVU, who was assigned to sexual abuse cases, she got mail from victims of sexual assault/abuse. She and her husband started a foundation to help the victims of such abuse, in real-life. I LOVE this woman!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mariska-hargitay/post_1390_b_793321.html

Physics news on Phys.org

turbo-1 said:
I LOVE this woman!

Your wife knows?

turbo-1 said:
When she started portraying a detective on Law and Order, SVU, who was assigned to sexual abuse cases, she got mail from victims of sexual assault/abuse. She and her husband started a foundation to help the victims of such abuse, in real-life. I LOVE this woman!

Yeah, I like her too but that's not addressing the root cause in my opinion and only doctoring the symptoms in what I believe is an ineffective, band-aid approach to the real problem. Why are they doing this in the first place? Is it intrinsic to the human genome to abuse or are social pressures partly to blame?

Personally I believe social influences have an influence and if we worked to eliminate those pressures, then I think we would have more of an impact reducing this problem then just caring for the abused.

(if impatient, skip to final 5 seconds)

Last edited by a moderator:

jackmell said:
Yeah, I like her too but that's not addressing the root cause in my opinion and only doctoring the symptoms in what I believe is an ineffective, band-aid approach to the real problem. Why are they doing this in the first place? Is it intrinsic to the human genome to abuse or are social pressures partly to blame?

Personally I believe social influences have an influence and if we worked to eliminate those pressures, then I think we would have more of an impact reducing this problem then just caring for the abused.
If you followed the link, you would know that she is supporting efforts to stop the cause of the abuse. If you find yourself on a battlefield, it is admirable if you try to save as many of the wounded as possible. It's also admirable if you contribute to some efforts to prevent war, but that doesn't help the wounded right now, nor contribute to their survival or rehabilitation.

turbo-1 said:
If you followed the link, you would know that she is supporting efforts to stop the cause of the abuse. If you find yourself on a battlefield, it is admirable if you try to save as many of the wounded as possible. It's also admirable if you contribute to some efforts to prevent war, but that doesn't help the wounded right now, nor contribute to their survival or rehabilitation.

Where in that article does it mention anything about addressing the cause of the abuse? I'm not clicking on all those purple links too. You already stated she's addressing the cause. My apologies to her and you then.

Related to I LOVE this woman Mariska rules.

1. What is the reason for saying "I LOVE this woman Mariska rules"?

The phrase is an expression of admiration and affection for actress Mariska Hargitay, known for her role as Olivia Benson on the television series Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

2. Who is Mariska Hargitay?

Mariska Hargitay is an American actress, producer, and director. She is best known for her role as Olivia Benson on the long-running crime drama series Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.

3. What makes Mariska Hargitay stand out as an actress?

Mariska Hargitay is known for her versatile acting skills and her ability to portray strong and complex characters. She has also received numerous awards and nominations for her work, including an Emmy and a Golden Globe.

4. How long has Mariska Hargitay been on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit?

Mariska Hargitay has been on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit since the show's first season in 1999. She is one of the few original cast members who has remained on the show for its entire run.

5. Why do you think Mariska Hargitay "rules"?

Many fans of Mariska Hargitay believe she "rules" because of her talent, dedication to her craft, and her involvement in important social issues through her work with the Joyful Heart Foundation. She is also known for her kindness and generosity towards her fans and colleagues.