I need a book for EE because the only thing I know is the word volts

In summary, the student is looking for a book or website that could give him an introduction to electrical engineering. He has trouble understanding concepts in class and is looking for help. He has tried reading books and websites, but finds that he does not have a good background. He has also tried doing experiments on his own and has gathered a few electronics kits. He is looking to continue his studies and is happy to be a part of the community.
mfalyahy
I need a book for EE because the only thing I know is the word "volts"

Hey guys

I'm just started my freshman year in college and I chose EE as my major because its cool. But I realized that not only do I don't know a thing, but it seems that everyone in classes knows the material and knows what's going on except me. We don't have any book regarding the EE class (the profosser only uses slides). so I was looking for a book that could give me at least an introduction to EE, because I don't know what the heck a compressor is, nor an ampr, nor all those weird stuff they were talking about. Can somebody please help me out and tell me of a good book or website or something ?

thx

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
In what class do you have problems, intro to circuits? Did you take a physics class? It should cover the basics. I honestly don't know of a good intro book to electronics, but have a look at this website. Also check amazon and read their reviews.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/index.html

I'm sure you guys have a lab, but consider getting your own multimeter and some electronic parts to do experiments outside of your class.

Last edited:

I believe that's the problem: I never took a physics class, in the American ciriculman atleast. So that is why every term in EE is new to me even though most of the students in the class knew what was going on. The class I'm taking for EE is "EEE 101 Intro to Engineering Design". As for the link, thank you, I took a fast look at it and it seems really helpful.

Waht's link is great. Concentrate on chapters 1, 2 and 5 and 14 for a start.

But unless you are a very fast learner, you are likely to fail because this is too much to absorb so quickly. Could you defer your studies and take some sort of bridging or beginner's course before trying to do College level?

mfalyahy said:
Hey guys

I'm just started my freshman year in college and I chose EE as my major because its cool. But I realized that not only do I don't know a thing, but it seems that everyone in classes knows the material and knows what's going on except me. We don't have any book regarding the EE class (the profosser only uses slides). so I was looking for a book that could give me at least an introduction to EE, because I don't know what the heck a compressor is, nor an ampr, nor all those weird stuff they were talking about. Can somebody please help me out and tell me of a good book or website or something ?

thx

Welcome to the PF. I don't know what a "compressor" is in the context of EE, so sorry I'm not help on that one. Don't worry too much about other students' head starts, as long as you are willing to work a bit to catch up. I'd recommend that you get a copy of the book "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, and make it a point to read it cover-to-cover before you are done with your freshman year. It will give you the background that the others appear to have on you.

Also, try to get a couple electronics kits and put those together in your spare time. That will really give you some practical experience, and help you to feel good about what you are learning. Have fun!

vk6kro: Indeed it is a great link. I don't think I can defer my studies and take some sort of bridging or beginner's course before trying to do College level because I'm already in the college level. However, I will do my best o comprehend and absorb the material, regardless of the hardships.

berkeman: thank you, I'm happy to be a member of this community. As for the book you recommended, I already took a look at it on Amazon and read the reviews. It is a very good book but assumes that you already have a background, which is something I lack. However, I did buy three other books which are: "Electrical Engineering 101, Second Edition: Everything You Should Have Learned in School...but Probably Didn't (w/ CD)", "Getting Started in Electronics ", and "All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide (Wiley Self Teaching Guides) ".

thank you all for the help

mfalyahy

I don't recall the AoE assuming any background, as it starts super-basic. Glad to hear that you are finding good resources -- have fun!

FAQ: I need a book for EE because the only thing I know is the word volts

1. What is EE?

EE stands for Electrical Engineering. It is a branch of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

2. Why do I need a book for EE?

A book can provide a comprehensive and structured understanding of the principles and concepts in EE. It can also serve as a reference for problem-solving and application of theoretical knowledge.

3. Is knowledge of volts enough for EE?

No, knowledge of volts is not enough for EE. EE involves a wide range of concepts and principles, including current, resistance, power, and circuit analysis. It is important to have a strong foundation in these areas to understand EE fully.

4. Can I learn EE without a book?

It is possible to learn EE without a book, but it may be challenging and less structured. There are various online resources and tutorials available, but a book can provide a more comprehensive and organized approach to learning EE.

5. What are some recommended books for EE?

Some popular books for EE include "Principles of Electric Circuits" by Thomas L. Floyd, "Microelectronic Circuits" by Adel S. Sedra and Kenneth C. Smith, and "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles K. Alexander and Matthew N. O. Sadiku.