I need a multiple for a linear combination

In summary: It creates confusion and wastes time and efforts of the people who are trying to help. Please refrain from doing so in the future. In summary, the conversation revolves around a matrix problem involving algebraic expressions and the determinant of a Vandermonde matrix. The solution involves factoring out common terms and using the factor theorem to find the desired result. The use of a cubic polynomial and the coefficient of its highest term is also discussed. The conversation was a duplicate post and the original thread can be found at the given link.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
I'm working with matrices, so maybe this should be in the calc and beyond, but my problem is with the algebra (-.-)

I've reduced my matrix to this:

##(b-a)(c-a)\left | \begin{array}{cccc}
1 & (b-a)^{-1} & (c-a)^{-1} & 1 \\
0 & 1 & 1 & (d-a) \\
0 & 0 & (c+a) - (b+a) & (d^2- a^2) - (b + a)(d - a) \\
0 & 0 & (c^2 + ca +a^2) - (b^2 +ba +a^2) & (d^3 - a^3)- (b^2 + ba + a^2)(d - a) \\
\end{array} \right | ##

Now here's my dilemma, I need ##a_{4\ 3} = 0 ##, which means that I need to multiply ##[(c+a) - (b+a)]## by something to get that ugly term ##(c^2 + ca +a^2) - (b^2 +ba +a^2)##...

I'm not seeing anything, but I'm sure it can be done.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did your determinant look like when you started?

##\left | \begin{array}{cccc}
a^0 & b^0 & c^0 & d^0 \\
a^1 & b^1 & c^1 & d^1 \\
a^2 & b^2 & c^2 & d^2 \\
a^3 & b^3 & c^3 & d^3 \\
\end{array} \right | ##

Last edited:
I will show you a trick that you likely wouldn't think of. Let's write that as
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
$$
\left | \begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
a & b & c & d \\
a^2 & b^2 & c^2 & d^2 \\
a^3 & b^3 & c^3 & d^3 \\
\end{array} \right | $$
Now let's replace the ##d##'s by ##x##'s and call it ##P(x)##:$$
P(x)=\left | \begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
a & b & c & x \\
a^2 & b^2 & c^2 & x^2 \\
a^3 & b^3 & c^3 & x^3 \\
\end{array} \right | $$
Do you see that ##P(x)## is a cubic polynomial? Then do you see that ##P(a)=P(b)=P(c)=0##? So by the factor theorem ##P(x) = A(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)##? Do you see what ##A## would have to be? All these questions can be answered by looking at the determinant without expanding it.

That might give you some ideas. I have to leave for now though. That determinant is called a Vandermonde determinant and you will find more than you want to know if you Google it.

[Edit, added later in the day]Sorry I had to leave but I will be in and out this evening. I did want to add that if you put ##x=d## back in your original determinant you now have$$
P(d) = \left | \begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
a & b & c & d \\
a^2 & b^2 & c^2 & d^2 \\
a^3 & b^3 & c^3 & d^3 \\
\end{array} \right | = A(d-a)(d-b)(d-c) $$and ##A## is the coefficient of ##x^3## in ##P(x)##. Are you with me so far?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
you can simplify both (c+a) - (b+a) and (c^2+ca+a^2)−(b^2+ba+a^2) and then it will be easy to see that the first term divides the second.

LCKurtz said:
I will show you a trick that you likely wouldn't think of. Let's write that as
Now let's replace the ##d##'s by ##x##'s and call it ##P(x)##:$$
P(x)=\left | \begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
a & b & c & x \\
a^2 & b^2 & c^2 & x^2 \\
a^3 & b^3 & c^3 & x^3 \\
\end{array} \right | $$
Do you see that ##P(x)## is a cubic polynomial? Then do you see that ##P(a)=P(b)=P(c)=0##? So by the factor theorem ##P(x) = A(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)##? Do you see what ##A## would have to be? All these questions can be answered by looking at the determinant without expanding it.

That might give you some ideas. I have to leave for now though. That determinant is called a Vandermonde determinant and you will find more than you want to know if you Google it.

[Edit, added later in the day]Sorry I had to leave but I will be in and out this evening. I did want to add that if you put ##x=d## back in your original determinant you now have$$
P(d) = \left | \begin{array}{cccc}
1 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\
a & b & c & d \\
a^2 & b^2 & c^2 & d^2 \\
a^3 & b^3 & c^3 & d^3 \\
\end{array} \right | = A(d-a)(d-b)(d-c) $$and ##A## is the coefficient of ##x^3## in ##P(x)##. Are you with me so far?

Well, assuming we're defining P(x) to be the determinant of the matrix, then yes, I see that P(a)=P(b)=P(c)=0, by 1) the scalar multiple theorem for determinants, or whatever its called, and also, as of recently I've been enlightened as broseph the geometric interpretation of a determinant, which I guess is somewhat causal of the scalar multiple theorem.

As far as the factor theorem goes, I see what you're doing as far as factoring out the 0's of the polynomial; that's just basic algebra. I'm not sure what this A is that you're getting at. Maybe I should spend some time on Google.

But... with this method, couldn't we do the same with the A's and the B's and the C's? My zeros would differ in each case. Is A supposed to account for the equality of the polynomial? So maybe something to the order of

A(d-a)(d-b)(d-c) = B(c-a)(c-b)(c-d) =C(b-a)(b-c)(b-d) ...
or is that not what you're getting at? I guess that's more or less just an observation.

LCKurtz said:
So now we find that this was a duplicate posting by BigYellowHat. Very annoying and violates forum rules. The original thread was:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=755660
That's exactly the reason why you should not open multiple threads for the same topic.

Related to I need a multiple for a linear combination

1. What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical concept that involves multiplying a set of numbers by corresponding coefficients and then adding them together. It can be represented by the equation c1x1 + c2x2 + ... + cnxn, where c represents the coefficient and x represents the number.

2. Why do I need a multiple for a linear combination?

The multiple in a linear combination represents the coefficient that is multiplied by a number. It is necessary to have a multiple in order to accurately calculate the total value of the linear combination.

3. How do I find a multiple for a linear combination?

To find a multiple for a linear combination, you first need to identify the coefficients and numbers that make up the linear combination. Then, you can multiply each number by its corresponding coefficient and add them together to get the total value of the linear combination.

4. Can a linear combination have more than two numbers?

Yes, a linear combination can have any number of numbers as long as each number is multiplied by a corresponding coefficient and then added together.

5. What is the purpose of using a linear combination in science?

In science, linear combinations are often used to represent complex relationships between variables. They are also fundamental in solving equations and creating mathematical models to explain real-world phenomena.