I need a plotter for a system of hyperbolic equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of hyperbolic navigation and the need for a program that can plot and solve the intersection of two hyperbolic equations. The speaker also mentions that some cities use microphones to detect gun shots and use the difference in time of arrival to determine the origin of the shot. The example provided by the speaker involves finding the position of three sources using the difference in path lengths.
barryj
I am trying to illustrate how hyperbolic navigation works. In the process, I need a program that will plot two hyperbolic equations and solve their intersection. I would rather not have to change the equation into function form if possible. I know that the plots will be two hyperbolas that are rotated from the normal x-y axis.

Technology news on Phys.org
barryj said:
I am trying to illustrate how hyperbolic navigation works. In the process, I need a program that will plot two hyperbolic equations and solve their intersection. I would rather not have to change the equation into function form if possible. I know that the plots will be two hyperbolas that are rotated from the normal x-y axis.
I think you might be asking about LORAN. Here's a link to some of the mathematics behind this technology -- http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/beyond/articles/LoranGPS/Loran.html

LORAN is the best example of hyperbolic navigation. However, some cities, I have been told, set up microphones around the city to detect gun shots. The difference in time of arrival of the shot sound can be used to figure out where the shot originated from. I have attached my example.

Knowing the position of three sources, and the difference in path lengths, find x,y.

img466.jpg

Attachments

• img466.jpg
    img466.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 422
  • img466.jpg
    img466.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 428

FAQ: I need a plotter for a system of hyperbolic equations

What is a plotter?

A plotter is a type of computer printer that is specifically designed to produce high quality, large-scale graphics such as graphs, charts, and diagrams. It uses pens or markers to draw continuous lines on paper or other surfaces.

What is a system of hyperbolic equations?

A system of hyperbolic equations is a set of mathematical equations that describe the behavior of a system or process using hyperbolic functions. These equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model wave-like phenomena such as sound, light, and fluid flow.

Why do I need a plotter for a system of hyperbolic equations?

A plotter is a useful tool for visualizing and analyzing the results of a system of hyperbolic equations. It allows you to see the relationship between different variables and how they change over time, which can help you better understand the behavior of the system and make accurate predictions.

What are the benefits of using a plotter for a system of hyperbolic equations?

Using a plotter for a system of hyperbolic equations can provide several benefits. It allows for more accurate and detailed visualization of the data, making it easier to identify patterns and trends. It also allows for easier comparison of different scenarios or parameters, helping to optimize the system or process being studied.

Are there any alternatives to using a plotter for a system of hyperbolic equations?

While a plotter is a commonly used tool for visualizing systems of hyperbolic equations, there are alternative methods such as computer software programs that can also produce graphs and diagrams. However, a plotter may still be preferred for its ability to produce large-scale and high-quality prints, which can be useful for presentations and reports.

Back