I need to have this Static mechanics theory simplified

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's lack of knowledge and interest in physics during high school but how they have gained interest since joining a civil engineering program. They ask for help understanding a problem involving calculating the resultant size, direction, and location. The expert summarizer explains that the position of the resultant can be located anywhere along the action line and is determined by solving for the corresponding x-coordinate on the x axis. They also commend the speaker for their graphical explanation and provide the correct answer for the location and direction of the resultant.
Riazy
First of all thanks for a very good forum. Secondly I must admit that physics was never
my strong side and is still not. During my high school days I had very much problem with physics simply because I was not really a science person (Had all good grades in other subjects than science).

But since joining a civil engineering program I have started to gain interest in physics and despite the fact that I possesses very little knowledge about physics, and have a hard time learning I do still believe that anyone can learn, just if they want, and have the right resources,information and help.

Please excuse me for lacking knowledge of english terminology, as my native language is not English and I don't study in English either, but I will try to be as clear as possible with the best of my ability

Homework Statement

This is a very basic example static problem and I understand much of it
but I don't understand the main point which is aquiring the position of the resultant.

Question: Calculate the resultant size, direction and location ( or maybe position)

variables: See my scanned paper for details and whole of the solution

Variables

Homework Equations

See the scanned paper

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is present but I merely want someone to explain what's happening when you require
the position. if someone could explain it graphically it would be great.

Scanned papers

[PLAIN]http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/3092/mech1001.jpg

[PLAIN]http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8014/mech2001.jpg

I am sorry for this very big thread, but I had no choice, and I have no one to ask, and I live one hour away from the university by bus , i would just like to have this theory Simplified a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Riazy: Vector R can be located anywhere along the action line you drew on page 2. Therefore, in item 1 on page 2, you arbitrarily chose to locate the tail of vector R at the x axis. Therefore, yo = 0 m. Now you must determine the corresponding x-coordinate, xo, on the x axis, for the tail of vector R. (You already drew an excellent graphical explanation of this in your diagram on page 2.) You correctly solved for xo in item 4, by computing moment summations, about the origin, for the two equivalent force systems; and then you set these two moment summations equal, and solved for xo. Nice work. All of your answers are correct, and the correct answer for the location (position) of vector R is (xo, yo) = (1.849, 0) m. The direction of R is alpha = 14.52 deg, measured from the positive x axis.

Related to I need to have this Static mechanics theory simplified

What is static mechanics theory?

Static mechanics theory is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of forces acting on bodies at rest or in a state of constant motion. It involves the analysis of the equilibrium of forces and the effects of these forces on the motion of objects.

Why is it important to simplify static mechanics theory?

Simplifying static mechanics theory allows for a better understanding and application of its principles. By breaking down complex concepts and equations, it becomes easier to analyze and solve problems related to static mechanics.

What are the key principles of static mechanics theory?

The key principles of static mechanics theory include the concept of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to zero when it is in a state of rest or constant motion. Other principles include the laws of motion, vector analysis, and the concept of torque.

How can I simplify static mechanics theory?

There are several ways to simplify static mechanics theory, such as breaking down complex equations into smaller parts, using diagrams and visual aids to understand concepts, and practicing problem-solving to apply the principles learned.

What are some real-life applications of static mechanics theory?

Static mechanics theory has many real-life applications, including the design and construction of buildings and bridges, the study of the stability of structures, and the analysis of the forces acting on a stationary or moving object, such as a car or an airplane.

Back