I need to prove this (seemingly simple) property of Brownian motion

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the process W_t, defined as B_{t_0+t} - B_{t_0}, is also a Brownian motion when t_0 is fixed. It is noted that W_0 = 0 and the goal is to show that the finite-dimensional distributions of W_t follow the same pattern as B_t. An attempt is made to use the fact that B_t has distributions given by a complicated integral, but it is not clear how to apply this to W_t.
AxiomOfChoice

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]B_t[/itex] is a Brownian motion. I want to show that if you fix [itex]t_0 \geq 0[/itex], then the process [itex]W_t = B_{t_0+t} - B_{t_0}[/itex] is also a Brownian motion.

Homework Equations

Apparently, a stochastic process [itex]X_t[/itex] is a Brownian motion on [itex]\mathbb R^d[/itex] beginning at [itex]x\in \mathbb R^d[/itex] if it has finite-dimensional distributions given by the following mess (for [itex]0 \leq t_1 \leq \ldots \leq t_k[/itex]):

[tex]
P(X_{t_1}\in F_1,\ldots,X_{t_k}\in F_k) = \int_{F_1 \times \cdots \times F_k} p(t_1,x,x_1)p(t_2-t_1,x_1,x_2)\ldots p(t_k - t_{k-1},x_{k-1},x_k)dx_1\ldots dx_k,
[/tex]

where the [itex]F_j[/itex] are Borel subsets of [itex]\mathbb R^d[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] is given by

[tex]
p(t,x,y) = (2\pi t)^{-(d/2)} \exp \left( -\frac{|x-y|^2}{2t} \right).
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It makes sense that [itex]W_0 = 0[/itex], so I basically am trying to show that

[tex]
P(W_{t_1}\in F_1,\ldots,W_{t_k}\in F_k) = \int_{F_1 \times \cdots \times F_k} p(t_1,0,y_1)p(t_2-t_1,y_1,y_2)\ldots p(t_k - t_{k-1},y_{k-1},y_k)dy_1\ldots dy_k.
[/tex]

I'd like to do this by using the fact that [itex]B_t[/itex] has distributions that look like this. So I tried

[tex]
P(W_{t_1}\in F_1,\ldots,W_{t_k}\in F_k) = P(B_{t_0 + t_1} - B_{t_0}\in F_1, \ldots B_{t_0 + t_k} - B_{t_0}\in F_k) = P(B_{t_0 + t_1} \in F_1 + B_{t_0}, \ldots B_{t_0 + t_k} \in F_k + B_{t_0}),
[/tex]

where [itex]F_j + B_{t_0}[/itex] is just the translate of the Borel set [itex]F_j[/itex] by the vector [itex]B_{t_0}[/itex]. But I'm not sure I can do this, first of all; and second of all, I'm not sure it helps me, because I then would like to make a change of variables to massage the integral I then get. By the observation I just made above, I have

[tex]
P(W_{t_1}\in F_1,\ldots,W_{t_k}\in F_k) = \int_{(F_1 + B_{t_0}) \times \cdots (F_k + B_{t_0})} p(t_0 + t_1,x,x_1) \cdots p(t_{k} - t_{k-1},x_{k-1},x_k)dx_1\ldots dx_k.
[/tex]

So I want to change variables and set [itex]y_j = x_j - B_{t_0}[/itex] to get those pesky [itex]B_{t_0}[/itex]'s out of the integral. But that doesn't help me with the term [itex]p(t_0 + t_1,x,x_1)[/itex]. I need that to read something like [itex]p(t_1,y,y_1)[/itex], but I really do not see how to get rid of the [itex]t_0[/itex]...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm...well, at least I don't feel so bad about not having gotten this now.

Related to I need to prove this (seemingly simple) property of Brownian motion

1. What is Brownian motion?

Brownian motion is a phenomenon where small particles, such as dust or pollen, appear to move randomly in a fluid medium. This was first observed by Robert Brown in 1827 and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905 as the result of collisions between the particles and surrounding molecules.

2. How does Brownian motion relate to physics?

Brownian motion is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to describe the movement of particles in various fields such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It also has practical applications in fields such as chemistry, biology, and finance.

3. What is the property that needs to be proven in Brownian motion?

The property that needs to be proven in Brownian motion is the random and continuous movement of particles. This means that the particles move in a seemingly unpredictable manner and their position changes continuously over time.

4. Why is proving this property important?

Proving this property is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles in various systems. It also provides a basis for further research and applications in different fields. Additionally, proving this property can help validate the theory of Brownian motion and its applications in physics.

5. How can one prove this seemingly simple property of Brownian motion?

To prove the property of Brownian motion, scientists use mathematical models and equations, as well as conduct experiments and simulations. These methods involve analyzing the movement of particles and comparing it to the predictions of the Brownian motion theory. Through rigorous testing and analysis, scientists can confirm and support the property of random and continuous movement in Brownian motion.