I need to select a suitable diameter for my pipes

In summary, the conversation is about designing a pipe network system using the Hardy Cross method. The participant is unsure about which method to use for selecting pipe sizes and asks for help in optimizing for cost and volume. The Hardy Cross method is explained as an iterative method for solving simultaneous equations. The participant also inquires about the properties of helium gas at 900 degrees Celsius, but it is clarified that helium does not solidify or liquefy outside of extreme lab environments. The main goal in selecting pipe sizes is to keep velocities low, with a recommended velocity of 7 ft/s for generic purposes. Gas is more complicated due to its compressibility.
Young.Eng.SA
Hi guys,

Please help me out, I have a project here I need to design a pipe network system using Hardy Cross method.

I have drawn my pipe network and done my distribution of the flow rate according to the give discharge. but now I'm not sure which method I should use in selecting pipe sizes.

Pleasr help me out.

Regards
Young.Eng.SA

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is it that you are trying to optimize? Cost, volume, efficiency, weight? The only fluids related parameters pipe size effects is the pressure loss (head) in the piping system and the fluid velocity. All these relationships can be found using Moody's diagram and models such as the Hagen-Poiseuille equation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagen–Poiseuille_equation

Surely any reasonable size will do?

The Hardy Cross method is really an iterative method for solving a system of linear simultaneous equations.

Hi,

I was also thinking of considering Hardy Cross. But I'm only given a flow rate of 15000 cubic meters and I believe I have to make assumptions for the selection of diameters but again how far in assumptions should I get with the above flow rate?

Also can you guys tell me: what are the properties of helium gas at 900 degrees celcuis. I believe this is an inert gas that can be solidified at high pressures

Hi,

I'm looking on both volume and cost only

Young.Eng.SA said:
Hi,

...Also can you guys tell me: what are the properties of helium gas at 900 degrees celcuis. I believe this is an inert gas that can be solidified at high pressures

IIRC, that's incorrect. I don't even think there's a industrial use for liquid helium.

Helium does not solidify or liquefy outside of extreme lab environs. At least on earth.

You want to size the pipe so that your velocities are fairly low. If its something generic, size it to about 7 ft/s. Dealing with gas is a little more complicated as its compressible, really depends on how much volume you want at your outlet

FAQ: I need to select a suitable diameter for my pipes

1. What factors should I consider when selecting a suitable diameter for my pipes?

When selecting a suitable diameter for your pipes, you should consider factors such as the flow rate, pressure, material of the pipes, and the intended use of the pipes. These factors will help determine the appropriate size to ensure efficient and safe flow of fluids.

2. How do I calculate the required diameter for my pipes?

The required diameter for your pipes can be calculated using the Hazen-Williams equation, which takes into account the flow rate, roughness coefficient, and length of the pipe. There are also online calculators and software programs available to assist with this calculation.

3. What is the relationship between pipe diameter and flow rate?

The diameter of the pipe has a direct impact on the flow rate. A larger diameter pipe will allow for a higher flow rate, while a smaller diameter pipe will restrict the flow rate. This is because a larger diameter pipe has more area for the fluid to flow through, resulting in less resistance and a higher flow rate.

4. How does the material of the pipes affect the diameter selection?

The material of the pipes can affect the diameter selection as different materials have different flow characteristics. For example, a smooth material will result in less friction and allow for a smaller diameter pipe, while a rough material will have more resistance and require a larger diameter to achieve the desired flow rate.

5. Is it better to have a larger or smaller diameter for my pipes?

The diameter of the pipes should be selected based on the specific requirements of the system. In some cases, a larger diameter may be more beneficial for a higher flow rate, while in other cases a smaller diameter may be more efficient and cost-effective. It is important to consider all factors and consult with an expert to determine the most suitable diameter for your specific needs.