I plan to apply for PhD program on 2025 Fall. What do you think?

Tianyi Wang
Hello everyone, I plan to apply for PhD program on 2025Fall. I am an international student from China, and I want to apply in the field of Experimental AMO physics and Photonics in ECE department.

My Major GPA is 3.74/4.0(which in American GPA calculation system is 3.91/4.0), ranking 3/19 in my major. My previous research is based on the Laser frequency stabilization, electronic devices adjusting and setup a new Rydberg atom lab(for the laser system and cooling system.)

[Resume with personal information redacted by the Mentors]

My TOEFL scores is 98 with 22 speaking scores, and I don't have GRE scores and P GRE scores. I looked through that many programs don't need or accept GRE scores, but I am not sure whether to test or not.

My undergraduate school is ranking top10 in China, and is not sensitive to the US visa. However, due to the major sensitivity, I am planning to apply for the fields which are not related to quantum computing, such as photonics, cold atoms, etc.

Here is my initial school choice. for PhD program
Cornell(applied physics)
Rice(applied physics)
University of Washington(ECE)
Georgia Institute of Technology(Physics)
UIUC(physics,ECE)
University of Michigan(physics)
University of Southern California(ECE)
Purdue University(physics)

Can anyone give me some suggestions on my background and my school list and the major choice? I am so nervous about being rejected by all the schools. Thank you all guys with the sincerest heart!!!

By the way, I will apply for some master programs in ECE. Can someone recommend universities with cheaper tuition fees according to my background? Thank you again for your kind suggestions!

Physics news on Phys.org
Tianyi Wang said:
My Major GPA is 3.74/4.0(which in American GPA calculation system is 3.91/4.0)
No. In the "American system" it will be 3.74/4.0.

Further "Top 10 in China" is not the same as "Top 10 in the US." I dislike rankings, but Wuhan is #9 or #10 in China, and would be perhaps #50 in the US and Canada.

Tianyi Wang said:
I looked through that many programs don't need or accept GRE scores, but I am not sure whether to test or not.
About 20% of schools require it, 20% don't consider it, and 60% do consider it. It's your choice, but let me tell you that there are very few schools out there saying "We could use some more students from China. Maybe we should cut this one a break."

Tianyi Wang said:
My TOEFL scores is 98
Which will exclude you from many places that require 100+. Worse, it will exclude you from teaching assistantships in many places that will technically accept you. How do you plan to pay for this in that case?

I think you are shooting way too high. Michigan and Cornell can fill their entire classes with Chinese students with better grades, better English skills and who attended better undergraduate institutions.

Thread closed for Moderation...

Title and post #1 have been restored since we already had answers. Personal information has been removed.

The thread remains closed.

Likes berkeman