I really want to do an REU next summer

In summary, the person is interested in conducting research in chemistry or chemical engineering related to energy but has no prior experience. They are currently taking 18 credit hours and working part-time, so they are unsure if they can commit enough time to a research position. They are wondering if they should still apply for research positions and if they have a chance of getting one. They are open to any location on the east coast and are looking for ways to improve their application. They have a 3.84 cumulative GPA and a 4.00 GPA in chemistry/chemE. They are advised to focus on building strong relationships with their letter writers to increase their chances of being accepted for a research position.
Null_
I'd like to do the research in chemistry or chemical engineering, specifically related to energy; HOWEVER, I have done no research before. This fall I have 18 credit hours with a part-time tutoring job, so I don't think I can really devote much time a position. Should I still try to get one? I see that most applications are due in Feb/March, so any spring research won't really get discussed in my applications.

Do I have a chance? I don't really care where I do it, but somewhere on the east coast would be nice. How can I improve my application? I'm a rising sophomore with a 3.84 cumulative GPA...my chemistry / chemE GPA is 4.00. I'm not exactly outstanding, but if something interests me, I will work hard at it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would just focus on getting to know your letter writers really well, then I'd think you have a great chance at getting in somewhere.

FAQ: I really want to do an REU next summer

What is an REU?

An REU, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) that provides undergraduate students with research opportunities in various fields of science, engineering, and math.

Why should I do an REU?

Participating in an REU can provide you with valuable research experience, exposure to new areas of study, and the opportunity to work with experienced researchers. It can also enhance your resume and help you gain admission to graduate programs.

How do I find REU opportunities?

The NSF website has a database of current REU programs, which you can search by field of study, location, and deadline. Your university's career center or faculty advisors may also have information on REU opportunities.

What are the eligibility requirements for an REU?

Most REU programs require applicants to be undergraduate students in good academic standing and have a strong interest in pursuing a career in science, engineering, or math. Some programs may also have specific GPA or course requirements.

How do I apply for an REU?

The application process for an REU varies by program, but generally involves submitting an application form, academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement. Some programs may also require a research proposal or a sample of your work. It is important to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each program you are interested in.