I thought enthelpy meant total internal energy?

In summary: For a system with a constant number of moles of an ideal gas, the enthalpy and internal energy are state variables, determined by the temperature. The pressure-volume work done by the gas in expanding is not part of the internal energy but is part of the enthalpy. Entropy is another state variable determined by temperature for an ideal gas, and it, like internal energy and enthalpy, is conserved in a closed system.In summary, for an ideal gas, the heat capacity is constant with temperature and the enthalpy and internal energy can be expressed as H = n C_P T and U = n C_V T, respectively, where n is the amount of substance in moles. The heat capacity
kq6up
Then I see this line in a Wiki article:

For an ideal gas, the heat capacity is constant with temperature. Accordingly we can express the enthalpy as H = n C_P T and the internal energy as U = n C_V T, where n is the amount of substance in moles. Thus, it can also be said that the heat capacity ratio is the ratio between the enthalpy to the internal energy:
\gamma = \frac{H}{U}

Is this statement false? If not, some clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Science news on Phys.org
kq6up said:

For an ideal gas, the heat capacity is constant with temperature. Accordingly we can express the enthalpy as H = n C_P T and the internal energy as U = n C_V T, where n is the amount of substance in moles. Thus, it can also be said that the heat capacity ratio is the ratio between the enthalpy to the internal energy:
\gamma = \frac{H}{U}

Is this statement false? If not, some clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Maness
I am not sure where you got the impression that H and U were the same. Enthalpy, H, is a state variable, like U, but it is defined as: H = U + PV. If P is constant, then ΔH = ΔU + PΔV, in which case ΔH = Q i.e. the total heat flow during the process (first law: Q = ΔU + W where W is the work done by the gas).

AM

Likes 1 person
This would be true:

[itex]\gamma= \frac{H_s}{U}[/itex],

where [itex]H_s[/itex] is the static enthalpy of the gas. If the gas is in motion with velocity v, then the total enthalpy of the gas is

[itex]H=H_s+\frac{v^2}{2}=c_pT[/itex], where T is the total temperature of the gas; while the static enthalpy is
[itex]H_s=c_pT_s[/itex]. Since [itex]U=c_vT_s[/itex], one can write [itex]\gamma= \frac{H_s}{U}[/itex].

But [itex]\gamma= \frac{H}{U}[/itex], is wrong , if H denotes the total enthalpy. Total enthalpy contains both static enthalpy and the kinetic energy of the gas.

kq6up said:

\gamma = \frac{H}{U}

Thanks,
Chris Maness
Actually, for an ideal gas, the heat capacity is not constant with temperature. I think you are thinking of what physicists call a perfect gas, rather than an ideal gas. At low pressures where real gases approach ideal gas behavior, the heat capacity does vary with temperature.

For ideal gases, the enthalpy H and the internal energy U are independent of pressure, but are functions of temperature, with

dH = Cp(T)dT

dU = Cv(T)dT

So, when you integrate to get H and U, you need to take into account the temperature dependence of the heat capacities. However, you can write:
[tex]\frac{dH}{dU}=γ(T)[/tex]
Hope this helps.

I was deriving P/V and T/V relationships for an adiabatic process for a refresher. I was successful, but I assumed Cp=Cv+R. I would like to derive that too, but there was some holes in my understanding (obviously). When I get home, I will take a closer look so that I can glean more insight. Then take a shot at Cp=Cv+R. I would imagine these "constants" are approximately constant over a range. At least for understanding a non real gas.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

kq6up said:
I was deriving P/V and T/V relationships for an adiabatic process for a refresher. I was successful, but I assumed Cp=Cv+R. I would like to derive that too, but there was some holes in my understanding (obviously). When I get home, I will take a closer look so that I can glean more insight. Then take a shot at Cp=Cv+R. I would imagine these "constants" are approximately constant over a range. At least for understanding a non real gas.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Try this:

dH = CpdT=dU+d(PV)=CvdT+d(RT)

This only applies to an ideal gas.

Chet

I guess the whole time I thought U contained all forms of potential and kinetic energy. I didn't know it excluded this term PdeltaV. I guess it is useful in chemistry where a reaction can/cannot outgas and expand into free space. The change in energy from the gas leaving the system would no longer be internal. I am thinking you would no longer consider the gas part of the system, but part of the environment.

Did I get the touchy feely explanation bit down? Or did I bodge it?

Thanks,
Chris Maness

kq6up said:
I guess the whole time I thought U contained all forms of potential and kinetic energy. I didn't know it excluded this term PdeltaV. I guess it is useful in chemistry where a reaction can/cannot outgas and expand into free space. The change in energy from the gas leaving the system would no longer be internal. I am thinking you would no longer consider the gas part of the system, but part of the environment.

Did I get the touchy feely explanation bit down? Or did I bodge it?

Thanks,
Chris Maness

I can't really follow what you are saying. The form of the changes in internal energy and enthalpy I wrote down for an ideal gas apply to a closed system (no exchange of mass with the surroundings).

Related to I thought enthelpy meant total internal energy?

1. What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that represents the total internal energy of a system, including the energy of its surroundings due to pressure and volume changes.

2. How is enthalpy different from internal energy?

Internal energy refers to the total energy of a system, while enthalpy takes into account the energy transferred between the system and its surroundings. Enthalpy is equal to internal energy plus the product of pressure and volume.

3. Why is enthalpy important in thermodynamics?

Enthalpy is important because it helps us understand the energy changes that occur in a system during a process. It is also a key concept in the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another.

4. Can enthalpy be measured directly?

No, enthalpy cannot be measured directly. It is a thermodynamic property that is calculated using other measurable properties such as temperature, pressure, and volume.

5. How is enthalpy used in practical applications?

Enthalpy is used in various practical applications, such as in chemical reactions, power generation, and HVAC systems. It helps engineers and scientists understand and predict the energy changes that occur in these systems, allowing for more efficient and effective designs.