I took a taxi to work this morning I think

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the ice storm was not bad, but the Evo Child has my car and I didn't want her traveling. So I called one of the few people here that offer rides, it was the only place that offered taxi service that I called that was even willing to speak to me. Apparently the 5 taxis in the state only go to the airport. George agreed to "swing by and get me", and after giving him turn by turn directions to my place and he said he was on my street, I went outside and saw a brown unmarked car slowly driving toward me. He looked like a mafia hit man, complete with hat, and I made motions with my hands that meant "are you a taxi?" He gave me a blank
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Ice storm, not bad, but the Evo Child has my car and I didn't want her traveling. So I called one of the few people here that offer rides, it was the only place that offered taxi service that I called that was even willing to speak to me. Apparently the 5 taxis in the state only go to the airport.

So after begging and pleading and a number of calls back and forth, after two hours, "George" agreed to "swing by and get me".

After giving him turn by turn directions to my place and he said he was on my street, I went outside and saw a brown unmarked car slowly driving toward me. He looked like a mafia hit man, complete with hat. I make motions with my hands that meant "are you a taxi"? He gave me a blank look and then stared straight ahead. I took a few steps nearer the street and gave a look of fear and confusion forming the words "taxi?" with my lips. He stopped the car but kept looking straight ahead. I went up to the passenger window and asked "are you George?", he looked straight ahead and gave a slight nod. I got into the backseat not sure if I'd ever be seen alive again.

Turns out he was George and he drives people around for a living. I made it out alive. I gave him a wad of cash and said thanks. I didn't see any kind of meter, but we had agreed on the rate before he came to get me.

Next time I need a ride, I will be using George. If he'll come get me.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's creepy.

I'm thankful that I live in CA, we had a freeze warning for the last couple of days, but that's about it. =]

One of my Air Force friends went to the CIA and was surprised by this:
Apparently around DC, there are just corners where you wait and compute with whoever is giving rides that day into the district (presumably you arrange with them when they are coming back to your corner area too). He loved it. I find the idea interesting, but sketchy.

Of course I find you're presumably unlicensed taxi even sketchier. Take care of yourself out there!

Evo said:
Ice storm, not bad, ...

Great story, Evo. In the Netherlands you could easily make a living out writing such stories every week.

There is unlicenced minicabing. Usually someone who needs the money with a broken down old car and no insurance. The police tend to turn a blind eye because they are more interested in getting drunks out of the downtown at midnight.

In small towns there is just 'George' because it's not worthwhile anyone getting an official licence, and the local police know 'George' so it's ok.

There are pay for ride-share / carpools in big cities. The bus company got a website promoting these shut down here, they claimed it was unfair competition.

Thank you George!~ Though I want you to know that was NOT funny, thank you for being good to Evo. And thanks in advance if you help out again.
MAN!~
Here in NYC we get a wild guy driver once in a while and I chatter like a nut ... ...(I heard that) ... until I get to my destination, hoping that he finds me human enough to keep from killing me or someone else.

Evo said:
I went up to the passenger window and asked "are you George?", he looked straight ahead and gave a slight nod. I got into the backseat not sure if I'd ever be seen alive again.
I think you're supposed to ask for his name, rather than suggest one. And if you don't carry protection... (Don't say you do or don't.)

That was one step below a super secret hand signal. I had to use that once while getting a ride from El Paso to my Dads home. I was told to look for the Silver Coach, then put 3 fingers up followed by 2 fingers up. I felt odd, standing out side the air port flashing gang signs at every silver-ish colored car that passed. The Silver Coach turned out to be a beat up blue econoline.

hypatia said:
That was one step below a super secret hand signal. I had to use that once while getting a ride from El Paso to my Dads home. I was told to look for the Silver Coach, then put 3 fingers up followed by 2 fingers up. I felt odd, standing out side the air port flashing gang signs at every silver-ish colored car that passed. The Silver Coach turned out to be a beat up blue econoline.
:smile: Yeah, this was an old car and reeked of cigarette smoke. He had only a cell phone, no dispatch radio, no nothing.

If he wasn't the only car on the street, I would not have had any idea who he was. :bugeye:

I guess I should have let him know that I was packing a hubbard squash and I wasn't afraid to use it.

physics girl phd said:
Apparently around DC, there are just corners where you wait and compute with whoever is giving rides that day into the district (presumably you arrange with them when they are coming back to your corner area too). He loved it. I find the idea interesting, but sketchy.
There are places in DC where people stand in line as if for a taxi. Private cars swing by and pick them up for free. The reason is that there is a traffic jam that starts in downtown DC and runs as far south as 8:00 pm. But if there are three or more people in the car, it is allowed on the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane and poof, no traffic jam. I imagine there is a parking area where the HOV lane ends and the free riders have their cars parked there.

Evo said:
I know George. As with the banks, the loan sharking division of the mob is busily writing off a significant portion of their portfolio. George is in high demand right now for expediting these foreclosures and the taxi doubles as a get-away car.

I remember when we drove through Kansas to Emporia to get a dog...I think...two years ago. It was hairy with all the ice and snow and it didn't even storm on us...

binzing said:
I remember when we drove through Kansas to Emporia to get a dog...I think...two years ago. It was hairy with all the ice and snow and it didn't even storm on us...
Was it hairy when you got it?

Haha. Shut up.

If the cab was unlicenced you want to be careful Evo. In the UK there is a big problem with people going in unlicenced cabs who never get out of them alive or end up being assaulted or robbed.

Kurdt said:
If the cab was unlicenced you want to be careful Evo. In the UK there is a big problem with people going in unlicenced cabs who never get out of them alive or end up being assaulted or robbed.
He could have a chauffeur's license.

Evo said:
I guess I should have let him know that I was packing a hubbard squash and I wasn't afraid to use it.

Is that a squash in your pocket, or ...

Evo said:
So I called one of the few people here that offer rides,...
I'm really hurt Evo. :cry: Oh never mind. I was not around then anyway.
I still love you though. :!)

dlgoff said:
I'm really hurt Evo. :cry: Oh never mind. I was not around then anyway.
I still love you though. :!)
Awww. I couldn't do something like that. "hey dl, would you mind driving 40 miles both ways in an ice storm to take me down the street a few blocks?

I know some women that "would" do that. But they are not nice.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Awww. I couldn't do something like that. "hey dl, would you mine driving 40 miles both ways in an ice storm to take me down the street a few blocks?

I know some women that "would" do that. But they are not nice.
Me: I'll have a coffee to go.
Clerk: You don't drink coffee, is this for you wife?
Me: Do you think my mother would send me out in weather like this?

But no one is allowed to say that my wife is not nice. I reserve that privilege to myself alone.

Evo said:
Ice storm, ...after begging and pleading and a number of calls back and forth, after two hours, "George" agreed to "swing by and get me".

George seems to have found a good gig without taxi companies competing for business. I think your story would make a good submission to Garrison Keillor. He may even send you cash, to use it on one of his shows.

physics girl phd said:
... I find the idea interesting, but sketchy.

Of course I find you're presumably unlicensed taxi even sketchier. Take care of yourself out there!
Do you mean sketchy as in dodgy?

Last edited:

Related to I took a taxi to work this morning I think

1. What is the purpose of taking a taxi to work?

The purpose of taking a taxi to work is to have a convenient and efficient mode of transportation to get to your workplace. It can also save time and reduce the stress of driving in traffic or finding parking.

2. How much does a taxi ride to work typically cost?

The cost of a taxi ride to work can vary depending on factors such as distance, time of day, and location. In general, it can range from a few dollars for a short ride to several hundred dollars for longer distances.

3. Is taking a taxi to work a sustainable choice?

In terms of sustainability, taking a taxi to work may not be the most environmentally friendly option. Taxis emit greenhouse gases and contribute to traffic congestion. However, ridesharing services and electric taxis are becoming more popular, which can be more sustainable alternatives.

4. What are the advantages of taking a taxi to work compared to other modes of transportation?

Some advantages of taking a taxi to work include convenience, flexibility, and comfort. Taxis can also be a good option for those who do not have access to a car or public transportation, or for people who need to travel to a specific location at a specific time.

5. Are there any downsides to taking a taxi to work?

One downside of taking a taxi to work can be the cost, as it can add up quickly if it becomes a daily or frequent expense. Additionally, relying on taxis for transportation may not be a feasible long-term solution for some individuals. There can also be safety concerns, so it's important to choose reputable and licensed taxi companies.