I want check my answer in derivatives (part 2)

In summary, the conversation is about checking answers in derivatives using Wolfram Alpha and identifying mistakes in the process. The first part of the problem involves simplifying by combining like terms and correcting an error in the last term when differentiating. The second part involves using the product rule, but the individual made a mistake in finding u'. The conversation also mentions the importance of actively participating in the discussion and not just asking questions without providing updates.
Physics news on Phys.org
For 1, you multiplied correctly, but should simplify by combining the two x3 terms. When you differentiated, you have an error in the last term.
When you used the product rule, you differentiated incorrectly when you found u'. If u = 3 - x2, u' = -2x, not -2x-3 as you have. This is basically the same mistake that you made in the first part of this problem.

In 2, you only did this problem in one way - you didn't use the product rule. When you multiplied (x + 1/x) and (x - 1/x + 1) you have several mistakes. You ended up with two terms but there should be four.

r-soy, have you figured these out? Many times you ask a question about your work, get a reply, and then don't say anything more until you have a new question.

Related to I want check my answer in derivatives (part 2)

1. How do I check my answer in derivatives?

To check your answer in derivatives, you can use the derivative rules to calculate the derivative of the function and compare it with your answer. You can also use online derivative calculators or ask a teacher or tutor for assistance.

2. What are the derivative rules?

The derivative rules are a set of mathematical formulas that help calculate the derivative of a function. These rules include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule, among others. It is important to understand and apply these rules correctly when solving for derivatives.

3. Can I use a calculator to check my answer in derivatives?

Yes, you can use a calculator to check your answer in derivatives. However, it is important to understand the math behind the calculation and not solely rely on the calculator. Additionally, not all calculators may have the same accuracy, so it is always good to double-check your answer manually.

4. What is the purpose of checking my answer in derivatives?

The purpose of checking your answer in derivatives is to ensure that you have solved the problem correctly and to identify any mistakes that may have been made. It also helps in understanding the concept better and improving your problem-solving skills.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when checking answers in derivatives?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to watch out for when checking answers in derivatives. These include forgetting to apply the derivative rules correctly, making calculation errors, and not simplifying the final answer. It is important to carefully review each step of the solution to avoid these mistakes.